Kyb 48mm fork oil capacity?

4 replies to this topic
  • umu24013

Posted June 26, 2009 - 06:21 AM

I have a Kayaba 48mm forks (not stock) on my YZ426. I'm going to change oil and replace oil seals and wipers.

HOW MUCH oil will I need for an oil change?

BTW, I'm looking at Motul Fork Oil Expert Light 5W <--good or bad for this type of application?

• YZ450FIL

Posted June 26, 2009 - 07:33 AM

350cc each side if I'm not mistaken. One Quart is all you need to buy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2009 - 10:26 AM

I don't know if you are mistaken of not, but the '04 48mm Single Chamber fork is not measured out that way. That fork is set to an oil level, measured from the top of the fully compressed fork tube to the top of the oil, with the spring removed, and the damper compressed. The standard level is 125mm, and the range is between 105~135.

The 48mm Twin Chamber from the '05 or later has two oil chambers, the inner is filled full and bled free of air, and the standard amount for the outers is 350cc, as stated. It usually requires just over 1 quart to do either, so buy two.

• umu24013

Posted June 26, 2009 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the info.

I'd like to know what type of fork I have, but had never disassembled the fork and have no idea how they differ (Single Chamber vs Twin Chamber)

So I'm going to take it apart next week. :worthy: What's the most noticeable difference between these types?

• grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2009 - 11:03 AM

The fork cap is a giveaway. The Single Chamber '04 fork (still used on WR's) has a hex head cap on it that is removed with a normal wrench. The Twin Chamber AOSS ('05) or SSS ('06 and up) have an octagonal "cap" (actually the top of the damper cartridge) with an octagonal socket head cap in the top of it.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.