Correct way to start a 426 ?

7 replies to this topic
  • lee0666

Posted June 26, 2009 - 04:58 AM

Hello all, I've just bought a WR426f 2002, my first 4 stroke. I have alot of trouble starting it (moved up from a RM250). I just wondered if there is a certain way to start these bikes as it tends to take me at least 5 or 6 attempts !! :worthy:

• PowerBomb

Posted June 26, 2009 - 05:18 AM

You are probably doing it right.
Kick to TDC
Pull decompression lever
Kick about 1-2 more inches
Release decompression lever
Lift the kick starter back to the top
Kick all the way through the stroke

Some people differ on whether or not to touch the gas during start up. Some people give it a crack before kicking if the bike it cold, others leave it alone. I tend to leave it alone and it starts fine.

If it takes a lot of kicking to start, you may need a valve adjustment.

Hope this helps,
Brian

• yamahammer426

Posted June 26, 2009 - 05:26 AM

You are probably doing it right.
Kick to TDC
Pull decompression lever
Kick about 1-2 more inches
Release decompression lever
Lift the kick starter back to the top
Kick all the way through the stroke

Some people differ on whether or not to touch the gas during start up. Some people give it a crack before kicking if the bike it cold, others leave it alone. I tend to leave it alone and it starts fine.

If it takes a lot of kicking to start, you may need a valve adjustment.

Hope this helps,
Brian

I just engage the choke before I start it, and I don't have to touch the gas. I just bought the bike and have barely even gotten to ride it yet, and I can already start it 1st or 2nd kick every time.

• 1rkcooper

Posted June 28, 2009 - 04:29 PM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=447989

Go to the bottom of the page and watch the two videos from Yamaha. Keep in mind that they are all a bit different depending on jetting etc. My 19 yr old daughter can start my 98 WR400 within three kicks. That is almost as good as having electric start :worthy: :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 28, 2009 - 04:37 PM

My 19 yr old daughter can start my 98 WR400 within three kicks.

I think we need a picture of this :worthy:

• 1rkcooper

Posted June 29, 2009 - 04:48 PM

Without a lie. She will start up her 250x and then come over and start my 400. I just about fell over when she did it. If I hadn't seen it myself I wouldn't believe it iether. The auto decompression makes all the difference in the world.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 29, 2009 - 06:08 PM

the auto decompression makes all the difference in the world.

True that :worthy: BUT I'm (I mean we :lol: ) are still waiting for a picture lol jk

• 1rkcooper

Posted June 29, 2009 - 07:59 PM

I told her that you didn't believe it and she says we will have to get a video of her starting it. Now if only I had a video camera:banghead: . The best part of it all is that my son's 20 year old buddy can't even start it:lol: :lol: . He watched her start it after he tried, way to funny to see his reaction. The jetting is good and auto decompression is all it takes.

The first thing I told her when she got the 250x was that she had to be able to kick start it, and she can.

I might try to get a video somehow just for proof:smirk: :worthy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.