Yamalube junk??

45 replies to this topic
  • MX1967

Posted June 27, 2009 - 08:39 AM

I change my 06 YZ450F's Yamalube 4R every 5 hrs with a new filter & have had ZERO problems with my motor. Still on the stock clutch too, but I take great care of my yellow machine & after 73 original hours you're gonna have a hard time convincing me that Yamalube isn't as good as anything else.

• grayracer513

Posted June 27, 2009 - 10:24 AM

I thought that maybe when Yamalube changed their line of oils that Spectro started making it since they are running the same weights and blends now.

If Yamaha has changed vendors for their oil line, and are now using Spectro, that would probably be an improvement. I will not be using it, however, as I have a less expensive oil that performs well for me, and that I know does actually hold up in my motorcycle by actual test for the duration of my oil change intervals.

Again, if you're interested in facts, consider doing a test of a used sample of your own favorite swill.

• motoag93

Posted June 27, 2009 - 02:41 PM

i just switched from royal purple to amsoil... i change oil every 3rd ride...:worthy:

• Hughes

Posted June 29, 2009 - 12:21 PM

I thought that maybe when Yamalube changed their line of oils that Spectro started making it since they are running the same weights and blends now.

Within in the last 12months.

• i_wheelie_longer

Posted June 30, 2009 - 06:08 AM

just an update... i decided to try out the Motul 5100 10w-40 semi synthetic with ester and it is a huge difference over yamalube. ever since i got my 450 i felt that the shifting sucked, but now that i switched to the motul it is amazing. i used to always run yamalube and always was confident in it, however, it does not even compare to the motul 5100 and they are priced the same

• yzmoto124

Posted July 01, 2009 - 04:09 PM

I use Amsoil MCF (10w-40) except for the 3 warmest months of the year, when I use MCV (20w-50) instead. Prior to that, I used Mobil 1 Racing 4T, and only switched to the Amsoil because I found it to be at least as good and much less expensive. I buy it online in 4 gallon cases as a preferred customer.

Greyracer, I read or heard somewhere that synthetic oils are not good to use on bikes with wet clutches because it can cause premature clutch slippage. For this reason, I have always used regular four stroke motorcycle oil. Now I am concerned after reading this thread and viewing the Amsoil research, that by not using synthetic oils, my engine is dealing with premature wear. I trust your experience and obviously you would not be using a synthetic oil if you were having clutch issues from it. Can you tell me if "todays " synthetic oils such as the Amsoil MCF and MCV are friendly to wet clutch motors?

• grayracer513

Posted July 01, 2009 - 04:14 PM

Can you tell me if "todays " synthetic oils such as the Amsoil MCF and MCV are friendly to wet clutch motors?

I just told you I run synthetic oil in mine, and always have.

Please read:

http://www.thumperta...906#post6636906

• HwyChile

Posted August 05, 2009 - 02:18 PM

If you change your oil every ride then Yamalube isn't a problem. The biggest issue with Yamalube is it shears down and loses its viscosity in less time than some other oils.

There is no proof of that with the fully synthetic version.

• HwyChile

Posted August 05, 2009 - 02:25 PM

I find it odd that Amsoil now has a "new" analysis of oils and removed the old one and the new one does not have Yamalube. It looks like Amsoil cherry picks oils that they can beat and leaves out any real competitors, which is probably good marketing for those who buy into all of that. Why not list Yamalube fully synthetic in their new tests? The old test was not Yamalube full synthetic if I remember correctly.

• xr88honda

Posted August 05, 2009 - 02:46 PM

an i run amsoil an never changed it once i have 568958679587695958 trillion miles on it bhahahahah you guys are beating a dead horse here any motorcycle specific oil is fine,i agree synthetic oil is a little better for longer oil change intervals but you will suffer with clutch wear ive experienced it first hand ive raced moto since ive been 4 years old an every time weve rode with synthetic in my race bike theres been clutch [fiber an steels,steel plates always blue an warped] replaced within 2 oil changes regular petroluem oil i can go almost a whole year with the same fibers an when i do replace the fibers there just worn out not burnt to a crisp so beware of synthetic,btw you might get better clutch wear than me but thats cause you dont use the clutch theres alot of guys on here that talk big game an ive rode with them an they ride slower than granpa an are so easy on there bikes scared there baby will get scratched hahah no offense

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HwyChile

Posted August 06, 2009 - 06:34 AM

So what you are saying XR88 is that since I ride as slow as grandma and do not race (both of which are true) then I will be ok with synthetic? LOL.

I was just pointing out that Amsoil has "cooked the books" on their data in their so called tests and a statement that Yamalube does not have good shear protetion is false. Comparing fully synthetic oils to blended oils is comparing apples to oranges, and leaving out Yamalube full synthetic in their tests is suspect when Yamalube is a very popular brand. It is all marketing to make Amsoil look the best. I am sure Amsoil is great, but I doubt it is the best or any bettter than Yamalube fully synthetic.

Having said that, I am going to be putting Amsoil in my brand new bike this weekend (I bought some a few weeks ago locally for my first oil change), but I will also run Yamalube full synthetic in the future as well.

• gdbarr1976

Posted August 06, 2009 - 08:22 AM

an i run amsoil an never changed it once i have 568958679587695958 trillion miles on it bhahahahah you guys are beating a dead horse here any motorcycle specific oil is fine,i agree synthetic oil is a little better for longer oil change intervals but you will suffer with clutch wear ive experienced it first hand ive raced moto since ive been 4 years old an every time weve rode with synthetic in my race bike theres been clutch [fiber an steels,steel plates always blue an warped] replaced within 2 oil changes regular petroluem oil i can go almost a whole year with the same fibers an when i do replace the fibers there just worn out not burnt to a crisp so beware of synthetic,btw you might get better clutch wear than me but thats cause you dont use the clutch theres alot of guys on here that talk big game an ive rode with them an they ride slower than granpa an are so easy on there bikes scared there baby will get scratched hahah no offense

xr88 I am a Grandpa! Wanna race:p

My unscientific studies which is pretty much racing every weekend for the last 35yrs is that if you change your oil on a regular bases, as in every other ride which I do, just about any oil will do. Chances are heat and/or dirt will kill your engine before a oil breakdown issue...in my humble opinion.

On the other hand, in Nov I am doing the Baja 1k which means 18 or so hrs strait. I have been running rotella for years but for that I think I will spend a few extra bucks and go with synthetic. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted August 06, 2009 - 08:54 AM

I was just pointing out that Amsoil has "cooked the books" on their data in their so called tests and a statement that Yamalube does not have good shear protetion is false. Comparing fully synthetic oils to blended oils is comparing apples to oranges, and leaving out Yamalube full synthetic in their tests is suspect when Yamalube is a very popular brand. It is all marketing to make Amsoil look the best. I am sure Amsoil is great, but I doubt it is the best or any bettter than Yamalube fully synthetic.

Let's have a look, shall we?

First, when the statement was made that YamaLube fell short of the mark with respect to viscosity retention under high shear conditions, it was true based on both lab tests by Amsoil AND returned used oil analyses (UOA's) of both the 4-R and the then current full synthetic product. As often happens in life, things changed. Yamaha has apparently changed vendors for their line of lubricants, and since there is no current information regarding the new product that I'm aware of, the question, for me at least, is once again open. But, as I said the statements regarding the previous product was true.

Secondly, Amsoil has to pay for each of those oils to be put through the battery of tests the were subjected to, and would probably love to test the entire spectrum of available product, but there's a limit to everything. I would frankly like to have them toss in some of the more popularly used automotive oils for comparison, but they haven't done so. The test is updated on a reasonably regular basis, and each new version includes some new players. As to the charge of "cherry picking", as long as they continue to include the Mobil 1 products, that allegation is ludicrous.

In so far as comparing their full synthetic to petro or blended oils as "cheating", in the most recent test done, only 8 of the 30 oils compared to the Amsoil products were not synthetics. In the previous test, it was closer to 50/50. What is interesting is that the results themselves disprove your contention that the question of synthetic vs. petro/blended being that important. Several name brand synthetics were out performed both in the shear tests and in the overall results by the better blended oils.

You made the statement that they leave out any real competitors. Would that be top of the line oils from people like Motul, Maxima, Mobil, and Bel-Ray? Those are in the latest version. (I was not surprised at all to see that Lucas was a spectacular failure in the foam tests, but I was surprised at seeing Bel-Ray go down the same tube).

While you are looking over the new sheet, compare the latest D-6278 test to the older one, and you'll see that there is a trend toward more and more oils having the ability to pass this part, which is a good thing for everyone.

Still, as far as I know, and I haven't gone out and read a lot of labels lately, Amsoil MCF and MCV are the only motorcycle engine oils labeled for API GL-1 gear lube service.

• wobblyknobby

Posted August 06, 2009 - 09:12 AM

Dont waste your time arguing with greyracer, he knows what he is talking about. :thumbsup:

To the OP, this oil is awesome and readily available for ten bucks a quart at Advance Auto and elsewhere. This oil has actually reduced the noise level inside every engine I ever poured it in. I would use it and change every 4 rides.

Posted Image

• HwyChile

Posted August 06, 2009 - 12:15 PM

Grayracer:

I never saw Amsoil ever test Yamalube FULL synthetic. I looked at both of their tests and do not see it. I see Yamalube blended synthetic in the first test, and then no Yamalube at all tested in the most recent test. As far as I know, Yamalube full synthetic may be better than Amsoil since there is no published test that I know of that says anything different. If you have a published study or some other proof of anything different, please publish it.

I see people on here keep saying that Yamalube did not do well in the Amsoil test, and yet that is false because we are talking about an completely different product (blended oil) than Yamalube full synthetic, which has never been tested to my knowledge.

• grayracer513

Posted August 06, 2009 - 12:41 PM

I see people on here keep saying that Yamalube did not do well in the Amsoil test, and yet that is false because we are talking about an completely different product (blended oil) than Yamalube full synthetic, which has never been tested to my knowledge.

You read the first paragraph in my last post, correct? That's my current position on the matter. I have said nothing different in the month or so since I discovered the vendor change had been made.

• HwyChile

Posted August 06, 2009 - 12:46 PM

It's not JUST a matter of vendor change. Amsoil NEVER EVER tested full synthetic Yamalube. So any statement that Amsoil has EVER been better than Yamalube FULL synthetic is FALSE. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted August 06, 2009 - 01:05 PM

It's not JUST a matter of vendor change. Amsoil NEVER EVER tested full synthetic Yamalube. So any statement that Amsoil has EVER been better than Yamalube FULL synthetic is FALSE. :thumbsup:

when the statement was made that YamaLube fell short of the mark with respect to viscosity retention under high shear conditions, it was true based on both lab tests by Amsoil AND returned used oil analyses (UOA's) of both the 4-R and the then current full synthetic product.

Not so. It's true Amsoil did not test it at the time, but others have, and Amsoil fared better. Either way, that was then, and I am waiting until I see some evidence regarding the new product.

• HwyChile

Posted August 06, 2009 - 01:37 PM

I've never seen any studies of Amsoil versus Yamalube Full Synthetic. Who are these "others" who have compared them? Can you point to a published paper?

What gripes the hell out of me is seeing people on this board keep pointing to the Amsoil study which, as you point out, did NOT test Yamalube Full Synthetic. That study is not releveant for Yamalube Full Synthetic and it is not even relevant to the current Yamalube blended anymore.

I do feel that the Amsoil studies are a lot of marketing to make their product come out best, and I am not the only one on here who feels that way.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, so we can both just wait and hope that another study is done that actually does test both oils.

I did not mean to ruffle any feathers. It's all good. Use what you like best and change it often.

• xr88honda

Posted August 06, 2009 - 02:14 PM

It's all good. Use what you like best and change it often.[/QUOTE]

x2million

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.