Cracked Stator Cover 07' 450

7 replies to this topic
  • Dveitch8

Posted June 25, 2009 - 12:45 PM

Just noticed some oil leakage on my stator cover, hairline crack about an inch long. i would like to replace it with something maybe a little stronger because the impact that caused the crack wasn't very hard.

or maybe a factory cover with some sort of protection for that side, i have a WC skid plate but it only covers the front and underneath, need something for the side.

thanks guys for the help and any recommendations, I've been searching all morning with no luck.:worthy:

• desert-rat660

Posted June 25, 2009 - 05:03 PM

good luck finding one. id just replace it and try not to crash or whatever u did to damage it

• Dveitch8

Posted June 25, 2009 - 07:51 PM

Thanks, hopefully someone on here has seen an aftermarket setup.

I caught a rock on the side doing some single track but there's just a scratch.

• Wyatt

Posted June 26, 2009 - 07:41 AM

I am not sure what is out there in the aftermarket, but in the mean time dont be afraid to patch the current one with a little JB Weld so that you can ride. I have seen it work wonders in cases of hairline cracks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2009 - 10:36 AM

I had to do the same thing one long weekend at the desert. I used Loc-Tite 245 epoxy, though. It's a bit stronger, bonds better, and cures much faster than standard JBW. JB does make a fast cure, though, and if you ever have to make a choice between them to save a ride day, bear in mind regular JB can take 8~10 hours to cure.

BTW, I ran that same cover for a very long time without replacing it.

• Dveitch8

Posted June 26, 2009 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys, I've got some jb in the garage

anyone running a skidplate that covers that side?

• grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2009 - 03:44 PM

I have a Devol that has some coverage for the sides against getting struck from below and forward, but it would not have prevented, most likely, the damage my engine suffered. Mine fell more or less flat on its side on a rock, and no skid plate covers up that far. The two that I know of that cover the highest are the Scorpion and the Lightspeed carbon.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted June 26, 2009 - 07:32 PM

I would buy a cover for an 08 or 09. That way if you ever need to replace your stator you can buy the upgraded stator from the 09 that has 4 bolts to mount it. Your 07 stator will still mount to it with 3 bolts.
JB

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.