Oil leaking at Clutch push lever

12 replies to this topic
  • wakeace

Posted June 25, 2009 - 09:24 AM

06 YZ450F- I noticed after my last ride that there was a silver dollar section on the top of the case that was wet with oil. I cleaned it off, checked the oil, and kept riding. less than hour later it was right back. I looked for any cracks in the case but the oil appears to be coming from the clutch push lever. Has anyone else had this problem? I am planning to remove the shaft for inspection and to replace the bearing/seal. Any other thought on what may be causing this?

• MOTOPHILE

Posted June 25, 2009 - 09:28 AM

Is it running down the line or coming up from below? Might be a loose fitting or a bad hose if lucky (assuming it is hydraulic). Is the fluid dirty? Squeeze and look for leaks. Need more info on bike model etc...

• wakeace

Posted June 25, 2009 - 09:45 AM

It is a standard cable clutch (not hydraulic).

• Aka.Goose

Posted June 25, 2009 - 09:49 AM

There's a rubber oil seal directly beneath the circlip...(#22, page 29, http://www.yamaha-mo...F/2S28_2007.pdf )...
Try replacing that, and the bearings underneath it and you should be good to go...
But I believe you're going to have to open up the clutch in order to get the shaft out...
Gray, where are you? lol...

• wakeace

Posted June 25, 2009 - 10:00 AM

Thanks Goose!

• MOTOPHILE

Posted June 25, 2009 - 10:04 AM

Hey Wake, where you at in TX?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Aka.Goose

Posted June 25, 2009 - 10:08 AM

I think you just have to remove the clutch pressure plate (the springs) to allow the pushrod to be loose, then you can get the shaft out to replace the bearings and seal...

• Aka.Goose

Posted June 25, 2009 - 10:11 AM

Oh, and keep in mind that pdf parts list is for the 07, I'm not completely sure if the part # is the same for 06...

• wakeace

Posted June 25, 2009 - 10:57 AM

Hey Wake, where you at in TX?

Frisco (North of Dallas)

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2009 - 11:03 AM

...I believe you're going to have to open up the clutch in order to get the shaft out...

You're correct. The clutch cover and pressure plate have to come off so that the inner, long push rod can be moved outward 6mm or so to allow the shaft to be slid upward and out.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 25, 2009 - 11:04 AM

I doubt it is oil coming from the clutch via the seal.....I would guess there is cable lube and high temps that are causing the lube to come thru the cable out at the clutch arm on to the case.

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2009 - 11:07 AM

That seal is exposed to the system oil pressure fed in at the end of the main shaft, so it's quite possible. Pretty rare, though.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 25, 2009 - 11:10 AM

That seal is exposed to the system oil pressure fed in at the end of the main shaft, so it's quite possible. Pretty rare, though.

very very rare but anything is possible

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.