1999 WR400 No Start!

7 replies to this topic
  • LukeWilson

Posted June 25, 2009 - 08:37 AM

When i got my wr400 it was running just fine, would start in less than 5 kicks usually and ran great. My friend then got a 2000 wr400 that was not running, we determined it was a carb problem and swapped a few parts over. As far as i remember the only thing i actually took off my bike was the mixture screw and the o-ring that goes with it. When that was put in his bike, it now runs and after buying a new one for my bike, my bike will not start. It has a brand new spark plug with a nice bright spark, the carb is very clean with a new pilot jet, the mixture screw is 2 turns out ( i have tried playing with this with no effect) and i can kick all day with nothing happening. I have noticed that it likes to try and kick back at me when the choke is on and this problem goes away as soon as i put the choke back in. The only other thing that i have changed at the same time is putting a new exhaust on. There have been no intake modifications at all so i don't see how this would change anything. Any ideas? Its now in supermoto trim and all i can do is look at it :worthy:

Thanks,

Lucas

• matt4x4

Posted June 25, 2009 - 10:45 AM

Sounds like valves might be too tight - a coincidence it happened at same time?

Do you know the starting procedure properly? Because you said it normally used to start in under 5 kicks...well, a properly tuned bike should start in 1 if doing the procedure right....and saying under 5 kicks is already making me think your valves might have been borderline then.

Did you take your slide plate out - if you did you might have put it back in upside down - if it looks upside down, it's right side up - i know...weird eh?

• LukeWilson

Posted June 25, 2009 - 02:54 PM

Valves are actually on the loose side of the spec i was actually going to tighten them up a bit. The slide plate is in the correct way, it has run for about a minute after a huge amount of kicks. When it did it sounded kinda lean but no jetting had been changed.

• CanadianWR450

Posted June 25, 2009 - 04:18 PM

Valves are actually on the loose side of the spec i was actually going to tighten them up a bit. The slide plate is in the correct way, it has run for about a minute after a huge amount of kicks. When it did it sounded kinda lean but no jetting had been changed.

But you did change your exhaust at the same time you said, and that could make a BIG difference in the jetting depending on what it replaced....although there are far more expert folks on here then me to confirm it would affect it to the point of not starting......I don't think it would...but....I'm sure others will chime in on that part....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jmkybf

Posted June 25, 2009 - 04:19 PM

Clogged fuel line into carb?

• LukeWilson

Posted June 25, 2009 - 09:12 PM

Seems to be flowing how it should, i also checked to make sure it wasn't a float problem. If i open the float bowl drain, fuel comes out how it should.

• jmkybf

Posted June 26, 2009 - 07:17 AM

What is your starting procedure? My '98 starts on 1st or 2nd kick. Since you did change the exhaust it might be running lean as previously mentioned. Try blipping the throttle once before kicking it over to allow the accelerator pump to pump a little bit of gas into the intake. I also assume that you took off the carb inorder to switch out the parts? Make sure that it is seated back fully into the intake manifold and the air box otherwise that will cause a really lean condition.

• pablo83

Posted June 26, 2009 - 07:39 PM

The only time mine has kicked back at me was when the slide was too far open either because I was holding the throttle open or the idle stop screw was way too far in.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.