Fractured Femur - Not healing after 10 months!

23 replies to this topic
  • G6VNM

Posted June 25, 2009 - 02:49 AM

Hi Dr Mark,

I fractured my femur 10 months ago and had a rod inserted the day after it happened. There has been no signs of healing. 5 weeks ago I was taken in to have a new rod put in and they done an injectable bone graft. I had an xray yesterday and there is still no signs of healing. The doc is now saying that he may need to remove the top screws from the rod to let my bone move down the rod (which they also done with the first rod and it didn't seem to help) - is this normal. Whats even more annoying is that they have inserted the rod through my knee twice now! Unfortunately I don't have the xray to post.

I am only 24 and I am normally a "quick healer" this is really starting to annoy me. Is there any reason why this shouldn't heal quickly?

thanks
Gavin

• DrMark

Posted June 25, 2009 - 04:28 AM

Without an X-ray I can't tell you much.

• SF701

Posted June 30, 2009 - 06:57 PM

Gavin,
I had a situation almost identical to yours. In April of '06, I broke my femur about 8 inches up from my knee. They put a rod in through my knee with 2 screws at my knee and 1 screw a my hip. Sept. of '06 still not healed, so they took the 2 screws at my knee out. Still was not healing, but the end of the rod started scraping the under side of my kneecap. Then, Feb. of '07 they took the first rod and remaining screw out and put a bigger (thicker-10mm to 13mm) rod in with 1 screw at my knee and 2 screws at my hip. My femur healed up great, but the damage my knee sustained from the rod scraping got worse. I finally had to have my knee worked on in July of '08. My knee will never be 100%, but with rehab, weight training and mountain biking, it's a lot better. Check into the bigger rod or go see Dr. Mark. Back then, I sent him x-rays and he figured out in one night what my doctor couldn't after 10 months. Good luck.

• DrMark

Posted July 01, 2009 - 12:28 AM

rods inserted through the knee tear the heck out of the knee, and I don't do them in athletes. They work fine in old ladies.

• G6VNM

Posted July 01, 2009 - 02:09 AM

I am currently trying to get copies of the xray. Once I do and if dr mark thinks there is an issue with anything I will go to bupa, I am now covered with them through my work.

My knee does click alot and I think that the rod is scrapping on the back of my knee which is also the reason why I can't bend my leg more than 100o.

Gavin

• G6VNM

Posted August 31, 2009 - 04:26 AM

Here are some xrays of of my femur now 3 and a half months after the second op with the bigger rod and injectable bone graft.

this is front view

Posted Image

and the side

Posted Image

This look like its healing ok dr mark?

• DrMark

Posted August 31, 2009 - 04:33 AM

OMG, the rod is sticking out of the bone into the knee!

• G6VNM

Posted August 31, 2009 - 04:37 AM

I take it that's why I can't bend my knee properly? It has healed quite a bit since my last op. I can go to bupa and have this fixed or is it better to wait this out now that it's started to heal?

• DrMark

Posted August 31, 2009 - 04:47 AM

If you were my patient, or more importantly I installed that rod, and you came to the clinic this afternoon, I would revise the rod THIS evening!

And this is the Health Care System we are going to get here?

• G6VNM

Posted August 31, 2009 - 04:52 AM

So you reckon I should go to bupa? Is the alignment bad or is it just the fact that the rod sticks out a bit?

• DrMark

Posted August 31, 2009 - 05:06 AM

The rod sticking out is more omnious than the alignment, which is of little or no consequence by comparison.

This is why rodding a femur up the knee is a terrble operation. If I was smart enough to have gone to law school, I would gather some cases and sue the manufacturers for billions. It would be better than titty implant cases.

• G6VNM

Posted August 31, 2009 - 05:25 AM

I don't know where to go from here then. The doc has told me to put as much weight through it as seems comfortable. Is there any point in having the rod ripped back out through my knee and revised again? Surely that wouldn't have any bearing on the time it has taken to heal?

• MR412

Posted August 31, 2009 - 05:41 AM

don't mean to go off topic...but Dr. Mark you made me spit tea all over my keyboard with your little old ladies and titty implant remarks...thanks needed that laugh.....

• TheRooster822

Posted August 31, 2009 - 09:00 AM

Dang, that really sucks to hear. I broke my femur 2 months ago, and they put a rod in through my hip. It took me about a month and a half for full range of motion. If you don't have that after 10 months, you are going to the wrong doctor. He never should have put it through your knee, and you should be healing a lot quicker than that.

I'm sorry to hear that man... that sucks...

• luissuperdog

Posted September 06, 2009 - 07:29 PM

Ok I'll put mine so you can see the difference. That thing is sticking out a lot. Your knee is going to be damage bad
Posted Image

• kauwboye

Posted September 07, 2009 - 06:13 AM

Oh man thats terrible,I had mine through the knee I haven't had any real problems yet,should I expect some DR. Mark?

• DrMark

Posted September 07, 2009 - 06:25 AM

Not all folks get bad knee problems after this rod. THe number is near 30%. If you are ok, then you probably will stay ok. This means you were lucky.

• mean318

Posted December 02, 2009 - 08:10 PM

I also broke my right femur over summer, september 30 2009, here it is december 2nd. Im still limping it aches terriable all the time. Doc says i should be further along i think i should be too. but the problem being is im a self pay patient and (i pay) but i cant help but think hes holdin back because i dont have insurance. I mean he left me in traction for three days. Im not sure how normal that is but two nites in a row the clamp that was atached to the screw in my tibia fell off leaving me in agonizing pain untill he got their in the middle of the nite to fix it. but he did put a rod in it threw my hip
Posted Image
Posted Image
My last checkup looked like this.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• MIKE ANIMAL

Posted December 02, 2009 - 09:02 PM

My son was 15 when this happened. He has had problems with his knee and hips every since. Should these rods be removed or how does that work with him still growing?

• DrMark

Posted December 03, 2009 - 03:47 AM

That rod needs to come out and a thicker one installed.

Related Content

Wiki
Arms - Raines Racing Fitness Fact - last post by Jason Raines

Arms - Raines Racing Fitness Fact

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Things I learned in my first two hours on a dirt bike (Long) by Scootterass

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  40 replies
Forums
Photo

CRF250L- 1, Dog- 0 by razorbill

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Stretch before or after excercise? by Bryan Bosch

General   General Forums   Health & Fitness
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Slam Dunk by dturk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  41 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.