New WR450. What to do first?

12 replies to this topic
  • tommyr21

Posted June 25, 2009 - 01:56 AM

Hi,
I am now the proud owner of a 09 WR450F...... Well, i will be as soon as i pick it up this weekend.
Just wondering what i should do to the bike before taking any big rides. Anything would be helpful.
Also any tips on general maintenance between services would be great.
Thanks alot
Tom

• trancetechau

Posted June 25, 2009 - 03:21 AM

Hi,
I am now the proud owner of a 09 WR450F...... Well, i will be as soon as i pick it up this weekend.
Just wondering what i should do to the bike before taking any big rides. Anything would be helpful.
Thanks alot
Tom

Hi. I'm also from Australia and have just got a new 09' WR450F after alot of reading here is what i've done including breakin (470km so far).

1. I got mine and left it restricted for the first 200km. But WARNING with the bike restricted it is a piece of crap 60-65km max speed but it stuggles to get there. At this stage I just went and rode it offroad.

2. After 200km I got/done
- oil change, oil filter change
- Installed Barkbusters
- Radiator guard
- Bash plate
- added heated hand grip hehe (cold here in Victoria in Winter)
- Derestricted (remove throttle stop, changed jets to ones that come with bike kit, cut air box, cut out baffler out of exhaust)

After every ride I clean air filter. Before each I lube chain and top up with fuel.

That's it so far I'm sure you can do alot more. Hope this helps

• jokerflingo

Posted June 25, 2009 - 05:44 AM

Hi,
Thanks alot
Tom

Hi. I'm also from Australia and have just got a new 09' WR450F after alot of reading here is what i've done including breakin (470km so far).

1. I got mine and left it restricted for the first 200km. But WARNING with the bike restricted it is a piece of crap 60-65km max speed but it stuggles to get there. At this stage I just went and rode it offroad.

2. After 200km I got/done
- oil change, oil filter change
- Installed Barkbusters
- Radiator guard
- Bash plate
- added heated hand grip hehe (cold here in Victoria in Winter)
- Derestricted (remove throttle stop, changed jets to ones that come with bike kit, cut air box, cut out baffler out of exhaust)

After every ride I clean air filter. Before each I lube chain and top up with fuel.

That's it so far I'm sure you can do alot more. Hope this helps

How many km do these newer WR450F's get before rebuilds these days? And what are they like as Motards? Cant wait to get one :worthy:

• kskyles

Posted June 25, 2009 - 11:01 AM

Hi,
Thanks alot
Tom

the first thing to do is read the performance index and FAQs that is stickied at the top of the forum. then i'd make a list of priorities based on what type of riding you want to do.

then, i'd read your manual cover to cover.

that should cover about 90% of it. then use the search function for the forum. there is a ton of information in here.

good luck, and happy riding.

• homer2000

Posted June 25, 2009 - 06:30 PM

hey im getting one soon, hopefully in the next couple of months, just wondering how much you paid for yours.
Also u should do the mods to ur bike

:worthy:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted June 25, 2009 - 07:10 PM

Do a thorough search through the stickies at the top. As it comes to jetting, you want to do your homework first so you have a shot at getting it right the first time. This is not the bike you want to dig into the carb on too many times if you can avoid it. Not hard, but just a little tedious and involves some time. Fortunately, most all of the research has been done for you and will save you tons of time. The magazines seem to remove the baffles in the pipe and airbox, unplug the grey wire, and cut down or swap out the throttle stop screw and test it just like that. Although it will run fairly decently like that, it will run better, start easier, and run cooler if you follow what most people are doing for your altitude. It involves swapping main jets, pilot jets, needles and leak jets in some cases. Once you have dialed in, you will be very happy. It will be a completely disappointing ride as delivered stock, but just keep in mind that it will be absolutely night and day difference once all the uncorking and jetting are cleaned up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slick_Nick

Posted June 25, 2009 - 07:21 PM

Just got an '06 WR450F with (get this!) 180 original Km's on it! I know the throttle stop has been removed, but I'll be reading the FAQ's, etc to see if the rest has been done.

• rampar

Posted June 25, 2009 - 07:32 PM

did you go through yammy finance?

• Slick_Nick

Posted June 25, 2009 - 07:47 PM

I don't know actually, I hear back tomorrow, I'm not sure what company they use.

• tommyr21

Posted June 25, 2009 - 08:20 PM

did you go through yammy finance?

Wish i did. woulda saved a bit of money... I had already organised a personal loan through the bank without realising the great finance rate yammy has going. by the time i found out it was already too late.
But i spose i had it coming. im a very impulsive person. i decided i was going to buy the bike, and thats what i did. probably shoulda done some homework first. Oh well.

I payed $12,250 AUD including all on road costs from Melbs, thats a $1350 saving if i was to buy it here in Albury/Wodonga.

Thanks to everyone for the response. much appreciated

• rampar

Posted June 25, 2009 - 09:17 PM

Current deal is $1000 off RRP and 4.99% interest over 2 years. But during my inquiries the initial setup costs are high with $299 up front for YMF and the dealer also wanted another $499 for organizing the credit. These are initial figures, i have to see of i can get the dealer to drop the $499 charge which is more than excessive IMO.

cheers,
Rob

• slygary

Posted July 03, 2009 - 04:30 AM

Today just got new 09 wr450 $11500. Cash cash cash.

• Michigan DS

Posted July 05, 2009 - 06:18 PM

I don't know about first, but I would/did order an IMS 3.1 gal tank!

Enjoy your new ride!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.