99 steeering stem bearing kits???

5 replies to this topic
  • Bill

Posted March 19, 2003 - 04:55 PM

I orderd the Pivot Works kit and the bearings were the same, also the seals. My 99 the upper and lower bearings and seals are different sizes. So then, I ordered the All Balls kit and the bearings were correct but, only the top seal came with the kit. I finally just ordered the stock stuff from Yamaha.

Anyone else have this experience?

Bill

• Lon13

Posted March 20, 2003 - 11:07 AM

Before you buy bearings from anyone, check your local bearing supplier (not motorcycle shop) to see if they will cross reference your bearings to a different part number. I haven't bought bearings from a bike shop in over 20 years. Most roller steering head bearings are made by Timken. I recently replaced front wheel bearings in an XR600, I got the bearings from Bearings inc. They were about 1/3 the cost of the exact same bearings at the bike shop. -Go to a lawn mower shop for spark plugs, the one I go to sells the same plugs the bike shop sells at about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost. you may have to order 8 if they don't have the plugs you need, but it's worth the savings (if you don't use them all, you can sell them to your friends).

• APhantomduck

Posted March 20, 2003 - 01:58 PM

I tend towards using the OEM parts. The price difference from Yamaha and Pivot Works is usually very small. For example, the Pivot Works kit is $ 50.00. The two bearings from Yamaha are $ 54.00. OEM is a perfect fit, engineered for your bike and is correct the first time.

Then, I often wonder what "grade" bearings you get from the bearing house or after market supplier. Yamaha, for example, purchases and sells tens of thousands of these bearings from the manufacture. I'm sure they get a great price. When I see the time (which is rare) that the bearing house close to Yamaha and has a precise replacement and the price is less than Yamaha, it makes me wonder what quality of product I'm getting and why they can sell it for less.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • x2smoker

Posted March 20, 2003 - 03:53 PM

I agree, you'll get a much better price from a bearing distributor. If you have the right help at the desk, you'll get the exact fit and a better grade bearing. That's the key, you need to understand bearings as they come in many grades for different applications.

Yamaha or any other MC manufacturer didn't design thier own bearings, the engineers selected them from a catalog. Look for any numbers present on the race (or seal if applicable)and start with that number when sourcing.

Of course, your time is valuable, too. Sometimes it's worth the extra cost to just go to the counter and pay the man for the Yamaha parts.

Maybe we should start a database with bearing cross references. That would save us TT'ers lots of cash.

x2

• x2smoker

Posted March 20, 2003 - 03:56 PM

Cool............ <font color="orange"> Bronze!!

• APhantomduck

Posted March 20, 2003 - 06:55 PM

I guess I have to agree and disagree as I just got a e-mail back from one of the YZ/WR engineers at Yamaha. According to the same, Yamaha often designs, in conjunction with it’s suppliers, bearings specifically for their bikes, then turns to a bearing manufacture to make them to their spec's. That is why there is often not a bearing available from the bearing house to fit a specific application.

But you are correct, one almost has to be an engineer or very sharp counter person at the bearing house to discern the correct part for the application.

For example, the bottom bearing on a newer YZ/WR has a special seal on the bottom bearing. When they were on a "backorder" status with Yamaha, I tried many sources (bearing suppliers) to obtain them for my customers. After searching 8 different suppliers, none had the precise bearing necessary available to sell or special order. The difference between the readily available bearing from the bearing house and the one Yamaha supplies is the special seal, that I’m told is only available from Yamaha, due to the special order specification Yamaha provided Koyo.

It’s difficult at this moment, but someone out there might want to call a bearing house and give us a retail price on Koyo bearing part number: 320/28JR. Then we could compare the Yamaha retail price of $ 26.78 and the price the bearing house give you. And remember, make sure the bearing they quote has the special seal attached to it. I’d be very interested in an honest answer to this.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.