Which DRD do I have? Ti or SS...

25 replies to this topic
  • Justin89

Posted June 24, 2009 - 03:16 PM

How the heck can you tell? Says nothing on sticker etc. Sorry I know dumb question but gotta know:smirk: :lol: Thanks!:worthy:
Posted Image

• Jbone483

Posted June 24, 2009 - 03:35 PM

Looks like stainless to me

• GENE426

Posted June 24, 2009 - 03:36 PM

Looks kinda blue to me which makes me think Ti
BUT I could be wrong

• Justin89

Posted June 24, 2009 - 04:12 PM

There's no performance difference correct? other than weight savings and strength?

• ZMoney520

Posted June 24, 2009 - 05:14 PM

I am gonna go with TI. I have SS and it turns brown. My neighbor has the TI and it turns blue like yours.

• yz007f

Posted June 24, 2009 - 05:14 PM

From the blue I would say its ti. s/s doesn't really blue like that at all...

• Justin89

Posted June 24, 2009 - 05:32 PM

okay thanks a lot everyone!:worthy:

• walent215

Posted June 24, 2009 - 05:38 PM

definitely ti and it doesnt change performance.

• KJ790

Posted June 24, 2009 - 06:17 PM

I think it looks ti. Stainless tends to just turn a gold color throughout the whole pipe while ti turns blue and purple back by the midpipe joint. There is no performance difference, just a difference in weight and durability. If I can't tell by color then I normally tell by tapping on it, ti pipes are thinner (thought this doesn't help if you haven't tapped on a lot of pipes or don't have another one for comparison).

• grayracer513

Posted June 24, 2009 - 07:17 PM

Stainless blues at first, then almost black, then dulls. Ti will characteristically turn one color of blue when it's hot, then change colors as it cools, and takes far longer to dull over a much shorter length.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Aka.Goose

Posted June 24, 2009 - 08:13 PM

Couldn't you just try to stick a magnet to it, just to be sure?
Ti is not magnetic, steel is?

• grayracer513

Posted June 24, 2009 - 09:25 PM

High quality stainless steel contains little or no iron, and is not magnetic.

• Aka.Goose

Posted June 24, 2009 - 11:32 PM

Hence the question marks, wasn't too sure...
Learned something new: steel is magnetic, but stainless steel is an alloy of steel, chromium, nickel, and other metals and is not magnetic...
Was thinking some of my tools which are magnetic were stainless steel...
Guess I was wrong...

• RedRider97

Posted June 24, 2009 - 11:52 PM

i dont know but you have a clean bike

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2009 - 06:19 AM

Hence the question marks, wasn't too sure...
Learned something new: steel is magnetic, but stainless steel is an alloy of steel, chromium, nickel, and other metals and is not magnetic...
Was thinking some of my tools which are magnetic were stainless steel...
Guess I was wrong...

It's not at all uncommon to find stuff like cheap, Chinese made flatware that is labeled "stainless", and yet is not only magnetic, but will actually rust. That's what happens when you allow government and not the industry to decide what "stainless" is. (The term was originally intended to mean that the object in question would not leave rust stains on anything it sat on if it got wet). The "legal" definition is steel containing at least 11% chromium, but it is mostly the addition of nickel that alters the structure of the iron content to make it non-magnetic. There are over 150 different grades of SS.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 25, 2009 - 06:41 AM

Your headpipe is Ti

• Justin89

Posted June 25, 2009 - 02:13 PM

i dont know but you have a clean bike

haha thanks!

• TIG88

Posted June 25, 2009 - 02:25 PM

It's not at all uncommon to find stuff like cheap, Chinese made flatware that is labeled "stainless", and yet is not only magnetic, but will actually rust. That's what happens when you allow government and not the industry to decide what "stainless" is. (The term was originally intended to mean that the object in question would not leave rust stains on anything it sat on if it got wet). The "legal" definition is steel containing at least 11% chromium, but it is mostly the addition of nickel that alters the structure of the iron content to make it non-magnetic. There are over 150 different grades of SS.

I have run into some 400 series stainless that is also SLIGHTLY magnetic. They contain little to no nickel, which, as you states, alters the structure to make it non-magnetic. These are called ferretic stainless steels. The 300 series, which are non-magnetic, are austenitic ss.

To the op, it does infact look like Ti. Like someone said, it is typically thinner, so try tapping on it and see how it sounds. This will be made easier if you have another one to compare it to :worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2009 - 02:44 PM

(The 400 series) are called ferretic stainless steels. The 300 series, which are non-magnetic, are austenitic ss.

The 400's also include martenistic steels. Then there are the 500's, 600's, 904, 2205.....

As I said, there's lots of them.

it does in fact look like Ti.

Looking at the area from the second bend in the header (the number of different colors around the bend) and the length to which the mid-pipe is blued, I would agree. Watch it during a ride and see if the coloration changes quite a bit, and again as it cools. That would be what Ti would do.

• thumpertime

Posted June 25, 2009 - 07:51 PM

I have the same full exhaust. Cool setup. Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.