Woodruff Key Update: TSB On The Way!

17 replies to this topic
  • rohar

Posted March 19, 2003 - 10:57 AM

Hi all.

I just got off the phone with Yamaha customer service. Aside from being very helpful, they did confirm that this is a known problem although the person couldn't offer any details as to what happened to cause it.

The good news is that a service bulletin is on the way to the dealers. The issue is so new that it hadn't gone out yet.

Interestingly enough, the TSB is not just about retorqueing the nut to a new value. She also mentioned that there is a new "procedure" that goes along with it. She couldn't offer any details. If your dealer doesn't know about it, have them call Yamaha Tech Support for the TSB, or wait till they get it - it should be coming soon... I hope.

• adamwagar

Posted March 19, 2003 - 12:36 PM

"The issue is so new that it hadn't gone out yet."

LOL. :) Yamaha has known about the problem for months. They haven't exactly been quick to react.

• IceBox

Posted March 19, 2003 - 01:34 PM

For what it is worth, I talked to a dealer in Ontario today and they just some recieved paperwork, I can only assume a notice or TSB, he did say it was concerning the rotor nut. Either the Canadians are slow to get the info that we have heard about in the US or hopefully it is something new?? I will request a copy of this info this weekend.

• Will450

Posted March 19, 2003 - 02:40 PM

Paperwork??? What the hell is that?
I don't buy it.

• foursmoke

Posted March 19, 2003 - 03:25 PM

Interestingly enough, the TSB is not just about retorqueing the nut to a new value. She also mentioned that there is a new "procedure" that goes along with it.

They are also going to adjust the carb to prevent backfire also.My bike is at the dealer now for this and SHOULD be done on Fri.I will get all details when I pick it up and post them for all you guys that need there keys fixed ok.
smoke,

• xr600r

Posted March 19, 2003 - 03:38 PM

Umm....most guys on here have already "adjusted" their carbs. jetting, etc. what exactly are they adjusting at the dealer to prevent backfiring ? :)

• ThumperWR450F

Posted March 19, 2003 - 03:53 PM

i heard they are replacing the piston and rod with a gerbil and a wheel . figuring how bad could a gerbil fart be. :)

• foursmoke

Posted March 19, 2003 - 05:34 PM

what exactly are they adjusting at the dealer to prevent backfiring ?

Not quite sure XR600R but will find out what on Fri. Also will find out what rejetting carb. afterwards could do.

• gsxrguy

Posted March 19, 2003 - 08:51 PM

on friday i was on my way to my first race, when i stop in to my dealer for some new googels and they had the up date. took about 1hr to do. they took off the fly wheel, lapped it , appled locite, red or blue? torque to 51 lbs. and retorque to 51 lbs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chaindrive

Posted March 20, 2003 - 03:45 AM

SEEEEEEE!!!! Just like I originally suggested! Just like we do the Cobra clutches! Damn I'm good! (Now I better hope it works! :) :D )

BTW: Use red or it's dead! :D

• IceBox

Posted March 20, 2003 - 04:55 AM

I don't have a long standing relationship with this dealer so I am anxious to find out also. Saturday can't come soon enough for me!!

• Number82

Posted March 20, 2003 - 07:31 AM

what exactly are they adjusting at the dealer to prevent backfiring ?

All they told me was that it was "adjusted". It wouldn't run with the choke off when I dropped it off and ran great after I picked it up (still a little lean on the pilot jet, though).

Same jets. All they could have done was adjust the air screw, but I previously tried everything from full closed to full open and it never ran as well as it does now.

• foursmoke

Posted March 20, 2003 - 06:54 PM

took about 1hr to do.

My dealer wont do it without a new ignition cover gasket! :D &%$#@!! :)

• jackalope

Posted March 20, 2003 - 07:00 PM

Anyone from CA having this problem? I know of 6 bikes that don't or haven't yet had this prob! Dealer said they haven't gotten anything yet. Weird! Yamaha Corp. is only 20 Mins. away!

• foursmoke

Posted March 20, 2003 - 07:06 PM

I haven't had problem either. Just airing on the side of caution. :)

• Alabama_Rider

Posted March 22, 2003 - 09:43 AM

They considered it but fart gas does not meet EPA emissions requirements.

• APhantomduck

Posted March 22, 2003 - 10:37 AM

I have the Technical Bulletin in my hands. According to this Bulletin, number M2003-005, The starter clutch bolt should be torqued to 16Nm (1.6m - kg, 11 ft - lb) and Loctite applied to these bolts. The main rotor bolt, is to be torqued to 65 Nm (6.5 m-kg, 47 ft - lb), then loosen and retighten the rotor nut to the last spec.

The Bulletin DOES NOT specify Loctite to the rotor bolt, yet I cannot see where this will hurt.

• WR321

Posted March 23, 2003 - 07:32 AM

Can you post this TSB, I would like to take a look at it.

Has anyone checked the torque on their starter clutch bolts?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.