Can '09 pass 96 bd at 20" w/o peeshooter?

4 replies to this topic
  • rkwfxd1

Posted June 23, 2009 - 07:25 AM

Can the 08/09 WR450Fs pass the 96DB at 20" sound test with the "peeshooter" removed from the stock exhaust?

I did a lot of searching and I know Yamaha makes a couple of quiet tips that will do this but was wondering if anyone had done the free mods and acutally had their exhause tested for DB without the peeshooter.

Thanks

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 23, 2009 - 08:00 AM

Can the 08/09 WR450Fs pass the 96DB at 20" sound test with the "peeshooter" removed from the stock exhaust?

I did a lot of searching and I know Yamaha makes a couple of quiet tips that will do this but was wondering if anyone had done the free mods and acutally had their exhause tested for DB without the peeshooter.

Thanks

If you remove just the peashooter... yes, it will pass without a problem, it's probably still below 90db at that point.

You can remove the tailpipe altogether but retain the S/A screen and it will definitely be louder and i think it will fail a standardized test.

I had the GYTR enlarged endcap for a while and it would blow 96db most of the time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ironhorse

Posted June 23, 2009 - 03:29 PM

I've had my 08 tested twice with the pea shooter removed. First time it read 96db. Put about 40 miles on the bike and tested it again this Sunday at a different event and it tested 98db. They kind of frowned at me. The bike only has about 100 miles on it so it doesn't need to re-packed. I drilled out the little insert that's in the pea shooter and I'lll put it back in and see how it runs.

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 23, 2009 - 05:54 PM

The pea shooter is that black metal thing in the stock external baffle. If you were to drill it out you'd be around 88-90 db (mine tested 88 db)

If you were to take the baffle completely out it would be loud. IIRC its about as loud as a stock '07 YZ exhaust...which is about 97-99 db.

• rkwfxd1

Posted June 23, 2009 - 06:21 PM

OK so now it sounds like in order to pass the 96db at 20" test I will have to leave the peeshooter in but drill it out for a bit of performance increase.

What size drill bit?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.