04 keep blowing bulbs, done all the checks in the manual but cant find a fault!

4 replies to this topic
  • Lennie

Posted June 22, 2009 - 11:14 PM

Hello,

My 04 Wr450 keeps blowing the front and rear bulbs. I have checked the magneto and the regulator / rectifier and get the correct readings from the manual. I get 12v at idle at the front and rear lights but it increases to about 25v when i rev the bike!!!!!!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to cure this please? My bike needs the annual test so its road legal but no lights = fail so please help if you can otherwise i will be bikeless !!!!

Thanks, Lennie.

• chris7521

Posted June 23, 2009 - 01:27 AM

Hello,

My 04 Wr450 keeps blowing the front and rear bulbs. I have checked the magneto and the regulator / rectifier and get the correct readings from the manual. I get 12v at idle at the front and rear lights but it increases to about 25v when i rev the bike!!!!!!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to cure this please? My bike needs the annual test so its road legal but no lights = fail so please help if you can otherwise i will be bikeless !!!!

Thanks, Lennie.

Obviously the mag is putting out. It's just not being regulated. Sounds like you need a new rectifier/regulator. Your rectifier/regulator test failed with 25V. Should be 13.5 max when you rev it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ww44wrf450f

Posted June 23, 2009 - 01:31 AM

I would think it's your regulator, but I did read somewhere that a stator will sometimes ground out when it picks up speed?

• William1

Posted June 23, 2009 - 01:48 AM

Double check all ground connections. Sometimes it is not obvious one is poor so a good cleaning of all often cures this issue.

• Lennie

Posted June 23, 2009 - 11:05 AM

I checked agian tonight and still the same problem, i took the bike apart more and found the bracket that holds the regulator / rectifier onto the frame had cracked on the side that also has the earth wire so I will weld the bracket tomorrow.

I the earth wire directly to the frame and just sat the regulator / recifier on the seat. The voltage seems to be alright like this but I am struggling to check the earth on the rear light I am not sure if I am doing it right as i get strange and varied results.

Can anyone tell me a good reliable way to check the rear light earth on a steel frame WR450 please?

Thanks

Lennie.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.