Rotella & KTM's

27 replies to this topic
  • Garage_guy_chris

Posted June 22, 2009 - 09:09 PM

Im a huge fan of Rotella, i run it in my older POS RM125 and did run it in my old DRZ 250 but.... I donno if i dare run it in my new KTM?

Just wanted some opinions and experiences on this. also state if your talking about the 15w-40 White bottle or the 5w-40 Blue bottle synthetic. Im considering this because its cheap and easy to get, but i realize these KTM's are a fair bit different then the jap bikes and can't decide on my own.

• adens13

Posted June 22, 2009 - 09:15 PM

rekluse rec's it for their clutches...

• Mike in Fresno

Posted June 22, 2009 - 09:45 PM

I use it in my cars and 4st bikes, car synth auto trans fluid in my 2st. Have used it before in the 2st, but only if out of trans fluid.

• trailmeisterjoe

Posted June 22, 2009 - 09:47 PM

I have always used it in my rekluse equipped bikes and it works great.

Joe

• veltex

Posted June 23, 2009 - 04:41 AM

I have always used it in my rekluse equipped bikes and it works great.

Same here

• john01

Posted June 23, 2009 - 04:44 AM

My son runs it in his 08 SX 450 with the Rekluse Pro; shifts like butter.

• quarternac sr

Posted June 23, 2009 - 05:49 AM

yep, 15-40

Posted June 23, 2009 - 05:53 AM

It doesn't work for my '05 EXC, with it the clutch squeals, I use Maxima synth blend instead

• DoctorDover

Posted June 23, 2009 - 05:56 AM

Works great in my 250sx

• DoctorDover

Posted June 23, 2009 - 05:58 AM

It doesn't work for my '05 EXC, with it the clutch squeals, I use Maxima synth blend instead

why are you using Syn blend ? You are wasting money . you should go with straight dino oil instead :worthy:

• gprodick

Posted June 23, 2009 - 06:33 AM

I've been using the Rotella T synthetic 5-40 in my '08 300 XC. It seems to work just fine.

It may be my imagination, but, since I started using it, I find less in the way of metal shavings on the magnetic oil drain plug. I change the oil every 250-300 miles and it always comes out very clean. I could probably go much longer between changes.

I work my clutch very hard, as I run a lot of single tracks and technical terrain. I'm constantly feathering it out of corners, up hills, and in rocky terrain. At 5000 miles, I'm still on the original clutch plates. The bike shifts perfectly.

• BirdyMaker

Posted June 23, 2009 - 11:10 AM

I have been using Rotella 15-40 in my 2008 250 XC-We since I bought the bike. Works great with no issues.

• kurt838

Posted June 26, 2009 - 09:55 PM

My brother might be one of the few exceptions, was having serious motor problems with his bike( has a rekluse) and the cyclinder was already worn after only 10 or so hours on the bike, and our mechanic said that he was almost certain it was from Rotella?? Made us wonder, but we have three other bikes that we run it in and it works just fine. We are trying different oil and seeing how that works out in it.

• crftalkonly

Posted June 26, 2009 - 11:24 PM

I've used it on my KTM since 2004. I've used it on all of my bikes.

• superslyko

Posted June 27, 2009 - 07:03 AM

My own experience is a little bit different. My clutch would drag if I used Rotella. So I lightened it up with 50/50 ATF.

Clutch worked much better, smoother thru the gears, etc.

Then I took the plunge, 100% ATF.

Wow! It works great for me! :worthy:

• bogus

Posted June 27, 2009 - 07:08 AM

so far rotella has worked very well in all my bikes

• visbits

Posted June 27, 2009 - 11:15 AM

Works great 300 XC-W, changing at 20 hrs and its still pretty clean.

• wall of tvs

Posted June 27, 2009 - 11:23 AM

My own experience is a little bit different. My clutch would drag if I used Rotella. So I lightened it up with 50/50 ATF.

Clutch worked much better, smoother thru the gears, etc.

Then I took the plunge, 100% ATF.

Wow! It works great for me! :worthy:

Yeah, same thing here with my '08 200xc. I switched out the Rotalla (white bottle dino juice) for some type F ATF fluid yesterday and took it for a quick spin around the block. The bikes shifts a bit smoother and more importantly, there is much less clutch drag.

One test I did after my quick spin was to push it back into the garage in gear (with the engine off). It was MUCH easier to do than before...it was almost like the bike was in neutral.

• thumpinyami59

Posted July 01, 2009 - 05:26 AM

Yeah, same thing here with my '08 200xc. I switched out the Rotalla (white bottle dino juice) for some type F ATF fluid yesterday and took it for a quick spin around the block. The bikes shifts a bit smoother and more importantly, there is much less clutch drag.

One test I did after my quick spin was to push it back into the garage in gear (with the engine off). It was MUCH easier to do than before...it was almost like the bike was in neutral.

Hey just a recomendation but a strong one... don't run the type F. Type f is "grittier' with that being exxagerated of coourse. but it is what old drag racers use and some still do to make there clutches in there transmission hook better. Now we have a similar wet clutch design but i would use a dex merc rather than a type f. It would be slightly easier on the rest of the parts. Just my two cents

• weantright

Posted July 01, 2009 - 05:59 AM

why are you using Syn blend ? You are wasting money . you should go with straight dino oil instead :worthy:

Rotella dyno oil is nothing more than basic oil with anti-foaming modifiers. This is proven with oil analyst I did on my diesel truck. Rotella synthetic is far better than the dyno counterpart also proven with analyst. When I used Rotella in my smaller trail bikes, car and tractor there was valve noise and loss of gas mileage. Switch out to another manufacture and the noise was gone. Will Rotella damage your bike?? I don’t think so especially when using the synthetic version 5w-30 blue bottle. A buddy's KTM 625 only likes a certain weight oil otherwise it overheats so weight might cause problems but not synthenics or brands. Because of heat and wear I would not used anything other than synthetic. Just my $.02!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.