Picked up brand new '06 (yeah, 2006) -- old school pics

17 replies to this topic
  • harvmushman

Posted June 22, 2009 - 06:29 PM

For those of you who forgot what the steel-framed biked looked like brand new, here are a few pics. I just bought the bike last week off ebay from a dealer in Wyo. He still had a brand new 2006! The discount was pretty sweet:ride:
This will be my new Baja bike, replacing a DRZ. I could tell in the shakedown ride it's going to be huge down in the desert:thumbsup:
On the way back I stopped of at the dunes in Idaho to break her in.
Now time to set it up for Baja.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• kawi380

Posted June 23, 2009 - 05:25 AM

Man, looking at a new bike makes me want to run down to the dealer and pony up for one...

• phynx

Posted June 23, 2009 - 10:11 AM

For those of you who forgot what the steel-framed biked looked like brand new, here are a few pics. I just bought the bike last week off ebay from a dealer in Wyo. He still had a brand new 2006! The discount was pretty sweet:ride:
This will be my new Baja bike, replacing a DRZ. I could tell in the shakedown ride it's going to be huge down in the desert:thumbsup:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That is beautiful!!!!

• sausage boy

Posted June 23, 2009 - 02:28 PM

For those of you who forgot what the steel-framed biked looked like brand new, here are a few pics. I just bought the bike last week off Eba from a dealer in Wyo. He still had a brand new 2006! The discount was pretty sweet:ride:
This will be my new Baja bike, replacing a DR. I could tell in the shakedown ride it's going to be huge down in the desert:thumb sup:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

so let us in on the secret, how much did you pay?? i must say i love my 05 WRY, i think it rides better than my 08 and easier to work on. :worthy:

• matthew trachsler

Posted June 23, 2009 - 02:32 PM

beauty the only steel framed bikes ive seen dont have any blue paint left near the ankles so i never knew how good it once looked

• MOTOPHILE

Posted June 23, 2009 - 02:37 PM

yah, frame guards now before its too late! Then take them off and sell it like its barely been ridden... :worthy:

• harvmushman

Posted June 23, 2009 - 02:39 PM

so let us in on the secret, how much did you pay?? i must say i love my 05 WRY, i think it rides better than my 08 and easier to work on. :worthy:

4,250 all in.

• harvmushman

Posted June 23, 2009 - 02:42 PM

yah, frame guards now before its too late! Then take them off and sell it like its barely been ridden... :worthy:

lol.
After the thousands of baja miles I will be putting on this thing, frame guards will do nothing to hide the carnage:ride:

• thedktor

Posted June 23, 2009 - 10:18 PM

Very nice - I also bought my 2006 model new last year.

I think it's still a nice looking bike even compared to the new ali frame model, and is a hell of a lot easier to work on!

I wrote up some stuff how to get it road legal here in the UK:

http://www.thumperta...6470&highlight=

Looks identical to yours: !

Posted Image

Steve

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted June 23, 2009 - 10:23 PM

super sweet find!

What mods are in store for that bad boy...besides the basics.

• harvmushman

Posted June 24, 2009 - 06:52 AM

Very nice - I also bought my 2006 model new last year.

I think it's still a nice looking bike even compared to the new ali frame model, and is a hell of a lot easier to work on!

Nice bike!

• harvmushman

Posted June 24, 2009 - 07:00 AM

super sweet find!

What mods are in store for that bad boy...besides the basics.

I am no expert, and most of my information comes from here along with some experiences. This is my plan:
_ stock suspension will work fo me. I'm just stripping it all down to pack good grease into all the bearings.
_ free motor mods, I'm going to start out with 48 pilot and 168 main in the carb/ flex jet remote fuel screw
_ 15t cs
_ 6g acerbis tank ( I really don't like running out of gas in Baja, or strapping extra gallons to my hip for big days)
_ Guts tall and soft seat
_ devol shark fin
_ devol rad guards (will likely have to trim to fit under tank)
_ Maxxis Desert IT / bridgestone UHD

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 24, 2009 - 07:10 AM

I am no expert, and most of my information comes from here along with some experiences. This is my plan:
_ stock suspension will work fo me. I'm just stripping it all down to pack good grease into all the bearings.
_ free motor mods, I'm going to start out with 48 pilot and 168 main in the carb/ flex jet remote fuel screw
_ 15t cs
_ 6g acerbis tank ( I really don't like running out of gas in Baja, or strapping extra gallons to my hip for big days)
_ Guts tall and soft seat
_ devol shark fin
_ devol rad guards (will likely have to trim to fit under tank)
_ Maxxis Desert IT / bridgestone UHD

While your at it, throw a DR.D slip-on on that bad boy and a set of springs for the extra weight and call it a day.

Once your done with all that, you will have one bad a$$ baja killer :worthy:

• wreckless711

Posted July 08, 2009 - 01:31 PM

man its nice to see what my bike is SUPPOESED to look like lol!

• Charles De Mar

Posted July 08, 2009 - 01:38 PM

where are you in Montana?
Posted Image
I have JD needles if you want them

• ww44wrf450f

Posted July 09, 2009 - 02:17 AM

WOW, $4250 --- u stole it!!! Payed 5100( in Ohio ) all in for my 06 last spring --- and again -- DO THIS -- when you get the chance put a slip-on DR.D and make shure you get a before and after picture of your smile:thumbsup:

• stev0

Posted July 13, 2009 - 10:11 PM

aaah, thats what my bike looked like!

nothing like a new bike... after every ride the cleaning ends up taking longer then the ride...

aah those were the days!

• trav298

Posted July 14, 2009 - 03:31 AM

yeah i remember now what mine looked like when I picked it up from the dealer in March 06. Doesnt look like that now!! 3000km of red dirt in the Pilbara of WA and she will never be the same.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.