The Girls in Trouble

22 replies to this topic
  • sausage boy

Posted June 21, 2009 - 06:21 PM

later this week i have to look at my friends 07 YZ450, she tells me its using all its oil in one ride, she tells me its smoking, white i believe. she also told me that all these problems started after she didn't drain all of the oil out (when she did an oil change) and she over filled it.
I've not seen it yet so these are just starting theories,
1 the head gasket is blown and its forcing all of the oil out into to water system?
2 it has a hole in the casings somewhere?

surely it cant be burning all that oil in 1 ride, can it?

• dollar-10

Posted June 21, 2009 - 07:40 PM

drain the oil again and fill to the proper amount and if that doesnt work start doin the checklist

• grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2009 - 10:11 PM

If the return pump is broken, or the sump screen clogged, it will pump the tank out into the engine and then, with the sump too full, it would smoke.

• Joe_Jet

Posted June 22, 2009 - 01:22 AM

white smoke=oil black=fuel

if its coolant it will smell and the smoke rises in a "steamy" fashion.

Sound like maybe overfilled and ruined a gasket, but doing another oil change accurately is an inexpensive check before tearing it down.

• Aka.Goose

Posted June 22, 2009 - 11:18 AM

Sounds to me like she blew out the rings...

• grayracer513

Posted June 22, 2009 - 11:29 AM

It could also be that she's just doing her oil changes wrong and is constantly over full, but that doesn't explain the oil "loss".

Either way, overfilling the engine will do no permanent damage. OTOH, if the piston seized once, the oil ring groove may have been pinched down, trapping the oil ring, and keeping it from working.

• Aka.Goose

Posted June 22, 2009 - 12:03 PM

I burned a lot of oil quickly too, white smoke, lots of it...rings were so far out of spec I thought I was checking it wrong...granted I had other issues, the piston slapping the head, the crank bearings worn, a couple valves being struck by the piston, and so on...but that last ride before opening it up was loud and smokey...

• yz480doinwork

Posted June 22, 2009 - 06:24 PM

make sure she knows she has to start the engine to get the oil to read on the dipstick. maybe its not reading so its getting overfilled

• matt4x4

Posted June 23, 2009 - 11:44 AM

Chances of blowing a gasket and forcing the oil into the coolant side are remote, the coolant side is under a lot more pressure once warmed up than the oil side will ever be.
Do as everyone above suggested before tearing her apart (I meant the bike you perv!)

• Aka.Goose

Posted June 23, 2009 - 02:15 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if you could get away with just changing the rings...Take a bunch of pics when you open it up and we'll help you out...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sausage boy

Posted June 23, 2009 - 02:15 PM

well to my relief, she has decided to take it back to the local bike shop and back to the guy (who is a mechanic there) she had originally bought it from. apparently, one of our other riding Buddy's told me it's been smoking for quite a while, so probably nothing to do with her overfilling it.
i do know that when i did an oil change for her, the oil was black, like it had come out of a diesel truck, when i asked her how long it was since the oil had last been changed she told me it had never been done since she had the bike, about 3-4 months also the air filter was that black you couldn't see what color it was, when i washed it i was surprised to see that the filter was in-fact red.
i had showed her a few times how to change the oil, but she couldn't get the 12mm oil drain bolt out of the left hand side of the engine without taking her skid plate off, so she didn't bother draining the left hand side, she just drained the bottom and then poured in 1ltr..

• grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2009 - 02:32 PM

So she was only about 850cc too full. Why would something like that be a problem? :worthy:

Unbelievable. Well, not really.

• Aka.Goose

Posted June 23, 2009 - 02:57 PM

smoking for quite a while, so probably nothing to do with her overfilling it. the oil was black, never been done since she had the bike, air filter was black, didn't bother draining the left hand side, then poured in 1ltr..

She's probably gonna need a new top end...
Then you need to make her read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert M. Pirsig...
And follow her through the steps of changing/cleaning the air filter, oil, and oil filter...

• grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2009 - 03:08 PM

She's probably gonna need a new top end...

I doubt it.

• sausage boy

Posted June 23, 2009 - 05:04 PM

And follow her through the steps of changing/cleaning the air filter, oil, and oil filter...

this the problem with some of the people i ride with, they all want to service there own bikes so as they don't have to take them to the shop, but its doesn't seem to matter how many times i show them, they can't get it right.. its a catch 22, do they do it, and risk f#*king it up, or do they leave it 3 months between oil and filter change?
i change my oil every 2 rides and my filter every 1-2 rides depending if its dusty. i cant seem to drum it into some people how important it is to service your investment.
i have to tell you that the girl in question is a hairdresser, she works with my girlfriend who is also a hairdresser, my girl also asked me about teaching her how to servicing her CRF150R, i just laughed and said it'll never happen :worthy:

• roost666

Posted June 23, 2009 - 05:38 PM

over filling may have caused to much pressure and popped a gasket maybe

• grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2009 - 07:15 PM

over filling may have caused to much pressure and popped a gasket maybe

To repeat myself again a second time....

.... overfilling the engine will do no permanent damage.

• matt4x4

Posted June 24, 2009 - 05:32 AM

Poor Grey - must really be starting to feel like a broken record.....most of you won't get that joke - it's from the 80's.
Ok, now that I've dated myself, back to our regularly scheduled programming.....

• sausage boy

Posted June 24, 2009 - 05:19 PM

well she took it to the bike shop and they have told her she needs a new top end. so it sounds like something major is wrong with it.

• motomanmike26

Posted June 24, 2009 - 05:23 PM

Are you sure she's draining the oil at the right spot and not just draining the sump pump and adding oil? Been there, done that. Got away with it. :worthy:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.