water in the airbox

5 replies to this topic
  • new2blu

Posted March 18, 2003 - 07:17 PM

Does anyone else have this problem? I have washed my bike with a hose(no pressure washer)and have noticed water in the airbox. At the front of tthe airbox is a small clear "hose" that looks like a drain it is holding water --shouldn't this piece allow water to drain?? My old XR250 had a slit in a piece similar to this and it allowed the water to drain from the box. Should I modify this piece?

• Jonesy920

Posted March 18, 2003 - 07:58 PM

I cut a slit in mine to drain the water. Somewhere in the archives is a part number for an XR650 drain that is oneway. I wish I could find it so I could order one.

• Jonesy920

Posted March 18, 2003 - 08:02 PM

Just found it here's the link

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BEAN329

Posted March 18, 2003 - 08:29 PM

The plastic hose is a tree hugger thing. It is used to catch filter oil for disposal. Go figure, damit i knew i forgot to do something before that last ride.

• HighPlainsWR

Posted March 19, 2003 - 04:46 AM

Yo Bean. You're right again brother. I've cut the bottom of the hose straight across, If it leaks oil, it's only because I put too much on the filter anyway. Other than pulling the snorkel, have you made any other mods to the airbox ? I'll bet there is a carbon fiber alternative from someone this summer. Other than ripping in to it with my Dremel I'll wait it out till the aftermarket catches up.

Posted March 20, 2003 - 07:09 AM

The clear sealed off hose is there to protect your engine in the event that you submerge the bike up to the lower portion of the airbox when crossing streams or crossing a mud bog.

Cutting it or replacing it with anything else will subject you to being stopped dead in your tracks when water enters the airbox and then the carb.

You are supposed to remove it when you wash the bike so that the water will drain.

The YZ comes with a turn down spout because MX tracks don't normally have a water hazard in the middle of them.

Bonzai :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.