Use YZ muffler needed?

13 replies to this topic
  • Richard56

Posted September 12, 2002 - 02:53 AM

A lot of u guys/gals say that a YZ muffler is better than the Original stock WR muffler... Is it true? Can the YZ muffler fit on a WR without any modification???
If can, does anyone out there have a YZ muffler for me and is willing to let it go and send to me.(I live in Singapore, in South-East asa).

• Chaindrive

Posted September 12, 2002 - 04:00 AM

There are some on the "parts & accessories" forum here at TT, Death Knight. Go to the bottom of this page and click to it. Good luck!

• BigDesto

Posted September 12, 2002 - 10:44 AM

My 02 wr has a yz muffler, it works great! Just need a longer bolt, that was it. Didn't need to re-jet,
runs strong! :D :)

• tk421

Posted September 12, 2002 - 02:12 PM

To change your WR exhaust over to a YZ exhaust, no modification to the bike are needed, however pull up this fiche and order the following items:
http://www.powerspor...=211656&ID=4284

Item # 16,17,18,19, and 12.

You MUST have these parts before installing your YZ muffler.
Good Luck.

• Dan426

Posted September 12, 2002 - 05:46 PM

Hey Guys, same setup, ive got a 02 WR426 and looking for a YZ pipe to suit.

Can anyone who has one please contact me?
danchojnacki@yahoo.com.au

Im in Sydney Austrailia. so we will have to arrange shipping etc.

Thanks heaps!

Dan - when the clutch drops, the bull$hit stops!
oh two double you are four two six

• Hick

Posted September 12, 2002 - 06:45 PM

Originally posted by tk421:

...Item # 16,17,18,19, and 12.

You MUST have these parts before installing your YZ muffler.
Good Luck.

Other than 16 and 17 I would think most used units would have these parts intact w/ the pipe. I mean, why would you remove them before selling? No aftermarket pipes I've seen use any of the parts mentioned.

OTOH we aren't talking about a lot of money to make sure the used part you are about to buy fits correctly.

Just my two cents.

• Steve_WR400F_#61t

Posted September 12, 2002 - 08:10 PM

First off, if you're gonna get a use YZ pipe don't forget that it doesn't have a spark arrestor. You can get one, just costs a bunch. I've been in the market for a new pipe myself and thought about this option alot. However, for maybe 80-100 bucks for a used pipe + 120-150 for the spark arrestor I figured a new one may be in order. On the YZ side of TT, everyone's talking about the Thunder Alley pipes. Seams they are supposed to be the one to get. They have an S/A option and they're hand made/custom units. The standard slip-on is only 250. I just ordered mine and I can't wait for it to get here.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Richard56

Posted September 12, 2002 - 09:18 PM

Huh... you guys meant that there is no spark arrestor on the yz pipe? Anyway... does it matter whether there is or not?? What does the s/a do anyway???? (Sounds like a stupid question)

• tk421

Posted September 13, 2002 - 01:06 PM

Quote by Hick: Other than 16 and 17 I would think most used units would have these parts intact w/ the pipe. I mean, why would you remove them before selling? No aftermarket pipes I've seen use any of the parts mentioned.

Hick,
You’re right, normally these parts (accept for 16,17 & 12) should come with the used YZ muffler. I was able to find mine off a YZ400. The guy only wanted money for shipping! The muffler was free. So needles to say I didn’t complain when it came with missing parts.
I managed to destroy the old gasket (item #12), so I had to order a new one. The exhaust gasket is fragile! A new one worked perfectly and isn’t all that expensive (save your sanity, don’t try to salvage the old one). :)

Death Knight, You are correct. No spark arrestor on a stock YZ.

[ September 13, 2002, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: tk421 ]

• Richard56

Posted September 13, 2002 - 06:07 PM

But what does a spark arrestor do??? What the difference between having one and not having one??

• dkwok

Posted September 13, 2002 - 06:31 PM

hi,
i know the diff bet a std pipe & a mod pipe?
its a $700 fine my fren??? :)

• dominator426

Posted September 13, 2002 - 06:40 PM

A YZ 250 silencer apparently fits a 426 although the canister is shorter and the outlet is smaller. Some ftermarket replacement silencers are the same for both...
What is the normal increase in main jet size, etc when switching to a YZ muffler?

[ September 16, 2002, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: dominator426 ]

• tk421

Posted September 13, 2002 - 06:46 PM

Spark Arrestor :a screen that captures hot particles from the engine exhaust.

Depending on where you plan to ride, if you don’t have a spark arrestor, you could be the cause of a fire in extremely dry conditions.

• RSA210

Posted September 13, 2002 - 07:34 PM

Dan426,check e-bay mate,seems like every time I look I see someone selling YZ exhausts.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.