yz400f driving me nuts, carb issues?

No replies to this topic
  • Cavi

Posted June 21, 2009 - 09:26 AM

okay, I have a 98 yz400f, I bought it a couple of months ago solely because it had a CA plate, but it was in bad shape, I got a good price and figured it would be a great DS bike.
Anyway, did a full engine rebuild, bottom up, when I went to run it we started to have carb issues, first the hot start system, then just a pain on getting it right and finding the crazy jets. After a few times of messing with it I decided to get a newer style carb so I got a carb off a 426, it was in good shape, my mechanic installed the carb with the full JD jetting kit as per directions. It now starts relativly easy, and runs clean on the bottom and at the top, but at almost half throttle to say slightly above 3/4 throttle it cuts baddly. A couple of extra details, I have hotcams installed adn this bike came with alot of extra parts, it is running a wr stator, and I have an extra cdi box, I do not know which box is the WR box or the YZ box, or weather they are both yz boxes. Ideas? At this point I think I need to raise the needle, but I also want to know if I have a WR cdi as JD said that that also causes a studder in the ride. How do I know which CDI is witch?

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.