08 yz450 handling problems

2 replies to this topic
  • Jim813

Posted June 19, 2009 - 06:13 PM

I have a 2008 yz450f with about 77 hours. I have an RTT stabilizer on the bike also. I didn't like the way my bike handled. It felt unstable, deflected, too soft, I had no confidence in the handling of the bike, and the bike seemed to wander all over the place. I was afraid to push through rough sections of off-road because I felt as if I were going to wreck constantly. And after riding my friends 2008 yz250 two-stroke( his suspension is set up through the same expert but actually valved a bit softer), which felt very solid and confidence inspiring( can go into more detail if necessary), I knew something was up. I figured this was a suspension issue so I had my suspension serviced and set up stiffer than stock through a suspension expert. I ended up having a broken free piston which severely lessened one of the forks ability to function and almost made it like I was riding on one fork.After riding my bike in the same conditions I used to suffer in, I still have that unstable, no confidence feel that I had before my suspension was serviced. I am beginning to think this may not be a suspension issue. Does anyone have any ideas?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Suzi450

Posted June 19, 2009 - 06:36 PM

We're assuming you relayed your issues to your suspension expert, and have the sag set for your weight and rear shock settings to their suggestions as a starting point for your riding abilities and type of riding, be it desert or mx.

• YamaLink

Posted June 20, 2009 - 06:04 AM

+1 on setting sag!

Here is a good tutorial refresher: http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

We're assuming you relayed your issues to your suspension expert, and have the sag set for your weight and rear shock settings to their suggestions as a starting point for your riding abilities and type of riding, be it desert or mx.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.