swapping to WR tranny questions (yes I searched)

7 replies to this topic
  • YZ450 Desert Rat

Posted June 18, 2009 - 12:31 PM

yes I did a search. I know it is possible, and I know that my 06YZ450 will require an '07 WR tranny.

I neglected to find a thread that lists the exact parts/special tools required.

I am a former auto mechanic, but motorcycles are a little alien to me. I most likely have all the tools necessary, but want to be sure.

[COLOR="red"]1.[/COLOR] what special tools (other than wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc.) are required?

[COLOR="red"]2.[/COLOR] Exactly what parts are needed besides the gears themselves?

[COLOR="red"]3.[/COLOR] While I have this much disassembled, what would be a no brainer to replace or upgrade?

If I missed a thread, can you kindly point me in the right direction?

I wanted to originally sell the bike and get a CA green sticker bike, but no longer.

• grayracer513

Posted June 18, 2009 - 12:53 PM

yes I did a search. I know it is possible, and I know that my 06YZ450 will require an '07 WR tranny.

I neglected to find a thread that lists the exact parts/special tools required.

I am a former auto mechanic, but motorcycles are a little alien to me. I most likely have all the tools necessary, but want to be sure.

[COLOR="red"]1.[/COLOR] what special tools (other than wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc.) are required?

Necessary:
  • a flywheel puller.
  • A torque wrench capable of accurately measuring 75 inch pounds (cam caps)
  • A torque wrench capable of accurately measuring 10-30 foot pounds (head bolts)
  • A service manual
Important, but you can work around it:
  • A blind bearing puller for the left mainshaft bearing
Nice, but you don't need it:
  • The pullers/presses for installing/removing the crank

[COLOR="red"]3.[/COLOR] While I have this much disassembled, what would be a no brainer to replace or upgrade?

The trans bearings need scrutiny. The left main shaft bearing is the most prone to failure. A set of rings wouldn't hurt (hone the cylinder). The timing chain (cheap insurance).

[COLOR="red"]2.[/COLOR] Exactly what parts are needed besides the gears themselves? If I missed a thread, can you kindly point me in the right direction?

I have a hard time believing you searched and didn't go to the thread that says, "look here first" (Common Threads). :worthy: How'd that happen?

http://www.thumperta...759#post4380759

• YZ450 Desert Rat

Posted June 18, 2009 - 01:12 PM

Thank you for the info.

what exactly is a "blind" bearing puller? do I just ask for this by name?

I did miss that one :worthy:

thanks again I appreciate it.

• grayracer513

Posted June 18, 2009 - 01:18 PM

what exactly is a "blind" bearing puller? do I just ask for this by name?

A good tool supplier would know. They reach in through the ID of a bearing and pull it up out of its pocket, often through the use of a slide hammer, when the bearing seats into a blind pocket with no access to the opposite side.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ450 Desert Rat

Posted June 18, 2009 - 01:21 PM

got it, thanks.

one more? where is an ideal place to get a service manual?

• grayracer513

Posted June 18, 2009 - 01:31 PM

Now I know you haven't looked at Common Threads:

http://www.yamaha-mo...ice/manuals.jsp

• YZ450 Desert Rat

Posted June 18, 2009 - 01:34 PM

I found that link yesterday, and for some reason i thought it was just the owners manual. or is it the same thing?

i apologize, this is the most overwhelming forum I have been on, and I am new to motorcycles. :worthy:

you have been a tremendous help, thank you.

• grayracer513

Posted June 18, 2009 - 01:52 PM

There is an actual shop manual, but you'll have to buy that through Yamaha, and like most factory shop manuals, it's pricey, to understate the case.

The Yamaha owners manuals are a better shop manual than the Clymers manuals are, IMO, and the omit very little other than the rebuilding of the rear shock. Has a good tuning guide in the back, too.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.