XR650L vs Plated WR450F

29 replies to this topic
  • NMNORGE

Posted June 27, 2009 - 05:58 PM

Awesome replies fellas, greatly appreciated. NMNORGE-good reslults with the GUTS seat? Did the tall seat give you extra foam to increase the height, or do they just build up the base an inch or so?

Extra foam about 1 inch, but since it's soft foam you are really only up roughly 1/2 inch when sitting with a 220# rider.

I owned 4 GUTS seats on various bikes. Highly recommend them. It's best to ship your seat to them. It will cost 12-15 bucks, but that's cheaper than having foam/cover installed locally. You will pay for the return shipping also, but you would anyway for the new foam and cover. So let them install everything on the seat pan. :worthy:

Posted Image

• stev0

Posted June 28, 2009 - 12:38 AM

Extra foam about 1 inch, but since it's soft foam you are really only up roughly 1/2 inch when sitting with a 220# rider.

I owned 4 GUTS seats on various bikes. Highly recommend them. It's best to ship your seat to them. It will cost 12-15 bucks, but that's cheaper than having foam/cover installed locally. You will pay for the return shipping also, but you would anyway for the new foam and cover. So let them install everything on the seat pan. :worthy:

Posted Image

id prefer to keep the stock seat though... theres nothing like swapping out some seats/tanks and fenders and then go racing!

• thomasj234

Posted July 23, 2009 - 12:47 PM

I've got a plated 2007 WR450F. I ride around town and feel like I've got a missile under me. Too much fun. Get to do the 'ghostrider' stuff. With all the mods (I still have some jetting issues) and hot cams to come it feels like I get to ride a motorcross bike on the street. The bike accelerates really fast (I'm only 160 lbs. and 5'7") and is light and manuverable. The bike is so hot I feel like I'm doing something illegal (I probably am half the time;)). Everytime I see a cop I expect to get pulled over and told to get that thing off the street and onto the track. I don't see how you can go wrong with the WR.

• 2in2out

Posted July 23, 2009 - 01:07 PM

If it's plated it's gold. Hold on to it!!!

• 52wheelz

Posted July 28, 2009 - 05:06 PM

I've owned both at the same time.

WR: Will go anywhere in the dirt but will wear you out on the pavement. Perfect bike if you are only on the pavement to connect to another dirt trail. Most fun dirtbike I've ever owned. Mine was an '05.

XRL: Owned two. The first I modified the carb and exhaust and air filter and never could get it jetted correctly. The second I left stock and it ran great at 11,000 ft and -280 ft. An OK bike to ride on the road for up to 200 mile days and is also OK in the dirt. The XRL is much heavier than the WR450F, doesn't have as much power, doesn't have as good suspension.

WR: 90% dirt and 10% pavement
XRL: 50% dirt and 50% pavement

For tight technical 4x4 trails the WR is dramatically better.

For deep sand and big whoops, you can ride the WR as fast as your skills allow.

The XRL is a worthy dirt bike but you have to ride it slower than the WR because of the suspension, power and weight.

If money was no object I would own both. They are both very good bikes but they are different.

It really has to do with where you ride and what compromises you are willing to live with.

For 1st and 2nd gear trails where you never ride faster than 20 MPH, buy a WR250R.

For desert and faster riding buy a WR450F and plate it.

For 80% pavement and 20% dirt on rides of more than 500 miles, buy one an "Adventure Bike" like an R1200GS BMW or KTM 990.

All these bikes are very good and they are also very different.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Traskrider

Posted July 30, 2009 - 03:44 PM

How hard was it to plate in Washington???? Would love to plate mine here in Oregon !!!

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 30, 2009 - 04:58 PM

I bought mine in OR.... the OR title does not say "For Off Road Use Only" on it. AND it already had an Oregon plate on it.

Most WA license agents don't know any better and they issue you a plate. It's not easy... it took me a while and as I understand it, OR no longer allows plating of offroad bikes:banghead:

Good luck, you need to find a loop hole.

• AFJ7732W

Posted July 31, 2009 - 01:08 AM

I have a plated WR450 here in Indiana. Never ridden a 650.

The 450 is not a cruiser. It wants to be accelerating or decellerating. I have a ball with mine. Caution: A plated WR450 makes you want to do all sorts of illegal things. I'm a pretty good guy until I throw a leg over that thing and hit the street. Stair steps are my favorite....

• stev0

Posted July 31, 2009 - 01:14 AM

agreed!!! stairs are fun!

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 31, 2009 - 06:24 AM

I'm a pretty good guy until I throw a leg over that thing and hit the street

:thumbsup:

For some reasons this hits way to close to home :worthy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.