2006 yz450f Scotts Stainless Oil filter

3 replies to this topic
  • ams14

Posted June 18, 2009 - 08:54 AM

Just got my Scotts oil filter in the mail. Went to put it on last night and it looks quite a bit different than the stock one, did they send me the wrong one?

The stock one has a hole in both ends: a large hole in the outside end and a small hole in the other end (inside) that has some sort of spring relief round door in it, it also has a large rubber grommet at each end.

The scotts one has no hole at all or rubber grommet on the inside end.

• ams14

Posted June 18, 2009 - 09:26 AM

Reading the very similar post below, i see that the spring loaded door is a bypass valve, and also that the second rubber grommet is not required. So is there supposed to be NO bypass valve in this filter, since I don't seem to have one?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 18, 2009 - 09:26 AM

The scotts one has no hole at all or rubber grommet on the inside end.

Look again. There is a spring loaded ball in the center of the inboard end frame of the filter, which is the bypass valve, and serves the same function as the spring plate on the disposable types.

The SS filter does not use a base pad on the inboard end because the filter is sturdy and precisely dimensioned enough that it does not need one to make in fit correctly without being crushed.

You have the right filter, by the sound of things.

• ams14

Posted June 22, 2009 - 10:30 AM

yep, you were right. The small depression in the center was actually a small bypass valve. I went on a long ride this weekend with it and the bike was fine, to I guess i am good to go.

I also recently installed the heavier flywheel based on recommendations on this site. I just rode a very tight rocky trail over the weekend and was really happy with the performance. In a few spots it would have definately stalled in the past and it doesn't now.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.