Fried Clutch Cable!

No replies to this topic
  • thedktor

Posted June 17, 2009 - 09:49 PM

Went out on the WR recently, stopped to adjust the fuel screw, and while leaning down touched the horn button with my shoulder and with a feeble <parp> the bike stopped dead.

All electrics gone, dead as a dodo. Great. :lol:

No tools as I had only meant to go out for a few minutes. Some time later my wife comes to the rescue, then back home for some tools and fuses.

The bike fires up straightaway with a new fuse, so I gear-up and wave off my wife.

WHAT-THE-F-------!!!!!!!! Smoke pouring out the clutch lever pivot! :lol: :lol:

I yank out the clutch switch thinking it must be that but it looks fine. The smoke seems to have stopped so I jam it in gear quick and head off for the 3 mile ride home.

The bike runs worse and worse but just makes it to my drive before dying again, phew.

Something clearly not right so probe around with a multi-meter and eventually discover the aftermarket handlebar light and horn switch is shorting 12V straight to the handlebar – nice! :worthy:

And some more probing show the handlebars don’t have a good earth back to the chassis, but the clutch cable does! And its fried like a kipper, melted and seized solid….

Posted Image

Ho hum, so waiting for a new cable now…..

Rewired the switch so the horn is earthed at the switch end rather than sending a live 12V on pressing the button. Unfortunately that means the horn has to have a permanent live feed one side (with ignition on), which is the reason I wired it the other way in the first place. Oh well, live and learn.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.