major carb disassembly question

2 replies to this topic
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted September 11, 2002 - 04:33 AM

Anyone of you ever separate the top half from bottom half of the carb?

There are 4 allen head bolts, with locktite, holding the two pieces together.

I believe it is Yamabond (the stuff to put between your case halves upon re-assembly) acting as a gasket between the two carb halves.

Why in the world, you should ask, would I want to do such a thing...???

Three reasons:
1 - I would like to rotate the brass fuel inlet 90 degrees to allow my oversize ACERBIS tank to draw off the entire tank >> Right now, because of the loop in the line, I lose the bottom 2" - 3" on BOTH SIDES (dual petcocks) of the tank. I don't know if disassembly will allow me to do this, but Hey, what the heck!!

2 - Also, as posted by myself earlier, I would like to fill in the old octopus air line nipple w/ soldier to completely eliminate any possible air leak potential WITHOUT crapping up the piot air matrix w/ soldier (like completely block the ckt).

3 - Plus, being a "Curious George", I WANT to do it! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mark_Cantrell

Posted September 11, 2002 - 07:15 AM

YamaBond is not what holds the crankcase halves together. Yamaha Quick Gasket is.

Good luck,

• James_Dean

Posted September 13, 2002 - 01:50 PM

I also separated the upper and lower halves of the '00 FCR carb while drilling the main air jet passage oversize. There was no problem in doing it, but be extremely careful with any gaskets there. The parts fiche does not show any available replacements. A very expensive and risky thing to be messing with. ($500-800 :) ) The only source of the internals may be Keihin directly from Japan or a factory race team with access to the components.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.