09 450 shift fork

7 replies to this topic
  • moer56

Posted June 17, 2009 - 10:55 AM

Hi,

My friend just broke his second gear on his 09 450. The problem is that the shift fork he need is B/O (in Canada) to july 15. I know that the part number is not the same for an 08 but I want to know if the part can fit. Sometime they change the part number only because they change supplier or something like but the previous part still fit. He have a lot of race coming up and we can't wait to july 15. Since the 08 and 09 models a very similar maybe we have a chance.

Any other suggestion to resolve this will be appreciated.

Thank you
Francis

• marine89

Posted June 17, 2009 - 04:27 PM

do they have the 08' gear in stock? if so do a side by side comparison.

• moer56

Posted June 17, 2009 - 04:59 PM

The shift drum and the gears are the same parts number (08-09). So if the drum and the gears are exactly the same both forks (08-09) should fit.

• saccityfire

Posted June 17, 2009 - 05:48 PM

This is from a Dirt Rider web test article on the 09 YZ450.

What did really stand out as an improvement was the shifting. If you are used to the older bike, you typically make deliberate shifts and don't notice the missed shifts much. Hop off another bike and act delicate with the shift lever, and you'll miss, often second to third, until you teach yourself not to pussyfoot the shifter. [COLOR="Red"]The 2009 bike seems to have fixed this with the additional length shift fork pins[/COLOR]. I never missed a shift on the new bike and I missed two on our 2008, just today.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chop Shop

Posted June 18, 2009 - 04:27 AM

Is this an isolated problem, or have more people had this issue??

• moer56

Posted June 18, 2009 - 05:40 AM

I don't know, it's the only one I know with this problem and he is pretty hard on his bikes.

So if they changed the forks for better shifting and all the other parts (gears shift drum, crankcase) are the same, we can put the newer forks on an older bikes to have better shifting. He order the parts this morning, we will know soon.

• e30M3

Posted July 13, 2009 - 06:06 AM

I don't know, it's the only one I know with this problem and he is pretty hard on his bikes.

So if they changed the forks for better shifting and all the other parts (gears shift drum, crankcase) are the same, we can put the newer forks on an older bikes to have better shifting. He order the parts this morning, we will know soon.

So did we find out if the shift forks are interchangible?

• moer56

Posted July 14, 2009 - 04:37 AM

I think they are but since his dealer receive the 09 fork the day he came to order the 08 fork he didn't try the 08 part.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.