need replacement for fcr carb

9 replies to this topic
  • hockey2826

Posted June 16, 2009 - 03:28 PM

Hi, I have a 98 wr400f and it was stolen a while back and actually recovered, but when I got it back it ran like crap, so I took it to my friend and he says its got a cracked vacuum release plate and it cost over $150 for the plate and seal. Seems like a lot for a little metal plate and seal, so I've been reading on here and it seems every one is going to the edelbrock and if I'm gonna shell out the money I might as well have the easy adjudtment and starting that if offers, now I know the 3148 will fit my bike but I cant seem to find one for under $400, so I searched ebay and came up with this one. Can anybody tell me if it will fit my bike? I have no idea what the mm intake and stuff are, no to tech savvy. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Keith

• hockey2826

Posted June 16, 2009 - 03:32 PM

sorry, heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/...2:1205|240:1318

• William1

Posted June 16, 2009 - 03:36 PM

Not everyone. I have seen one thread for a fellow that bought a used WR and it came with the Eddy. Most do not like it due to inaccuracies in tunability and needle availability. The FCR is vastly superior. However, old style ones do have a history of cracking slides like you have. Did you consider upgrading to a late style FCR-MX?

• hockey2826

Posted June 16, 2009 - 05:36 PM

didnt know there was a difference, which ones will fit? And is it gonna be any better on my pocketbook than an edlebrock?

• William1

Posted June 17, 2009 - 01:42 AM

FCR-MX costs about $550.00 USD for everything you might need. Initial outlay will be more the the Eddy but between frustration over needles and time wasted jetting and so on, it is much cheaper in the long run. Best source for a correct out of the box solution is from Eddie Sisernos, TT jetting brainiac. If you are serious and want to do it, PM him. But he is a busy guy so only do it if you really want to do it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncampion

Posted June 17, 2009 - 12:56 PM

Don't even consider the carb on ebay. It is a non-accelator pump model. Will not work on the WR. I also have to disagree with Willian1 (although he is usually spot on). After replacing three cracked slides on my FCR and watching friends agonize over jetting changes and clogged pilote jets on the later FCR, I went to Edelbrock and can't believe how well a simply designed carb can work. Tuning is as easy as turning a thumb screw. Other than the needle and seat, there is just about nothing to go wrong with the carb. I have several years of riding on mine as well as a couple of friends who all swear by it as opposed to swearing at the FCR.

• William1

Posted June 17, 2009 - 01:35 PM

FCR's are trickey to tune if you do not know what you are doing or do not have the tools. There are more parts that can be changed to set one up. But, by having more parts you can change makes it more accurate. Fortunately, the FCR is probably the most popular carb. There are tons of knowledgeable people with valid setup settings. Parts are available at any dealer. The Eddy, if you do happen in the right needle, is a breeze. That can be a big "if". Parts and knowledge is few and far between.

Post a Q in the jetting forum regarding a recommended base setting. Or perhaps, create a poll to see what the consensus feels.

• venom8tt

Posted June 17, 2009 - 06:50 PM

the only way to go is the edelbrock......i bought ned slide due to cracked one and the now one broke.........hense my new big bore and wiseco pison and valves.....atvgalaxy on ebay and the web has them for 389 shipped......cant beat their customer service too......
1st kick easy tunability.....
very pretty looking...
lol...
lots a power it will be like a new bike.....
i had alotta problems in the winter with that keihin accelerator pump carb....
good luck

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 17, 2009 - 07:18 PM

IMHO:

The Edlebrock is a cheaply built carb, that does work very well, for what it is supposed to do. It is NOT a performance carb: it was originally designed for Harley motors.

The Edlebrock carb has a short use life, as the body begins to corrode the day you pour gas in it. I had one on my XR650R and it completely transformed the bike. It also lost 3 hp on the top end, but everything else was so good I didn't care. You could not stall it, and it would run for ever on it's side, in the dirt. Very important for a 650 kick start!

William is right: The Eddy is useless unless you know EXACTLY which needle and needle setting to use. It won't even start at all if you are off. Then once you get it right, you must decide on top end or bottom end lean-ness. You can't get that carb to 'jet' correctly throughout the entire power band or throttle position, since it's just a needle metering the fuel.

If you can get the 'quicksilver' version pumper eddy for cheap, it's a cool carb compared to the stock carb, but if you want real power, a wide power band, and a carb that will last more than a few years, you should get a FCRmx pumper.

• ncampion

Posted June 18, 2009 - 07:35 AM

IMHO:
William is right: The Eddy is useless unless you know EXACTLY which needle and needle setting to use. It won't even start at all if you are off. Then once you get it right, you must decide on top end or bottom end lean-ness. You can't get that carb to 'jet' correctly throughout the entire power band or throttle position, since it's just a needle metering the fuel.

I was amazed that this carb could work so well with just a needle metering the fuel. The fact is it does! If you buy the carb for a specific bike, it comes with the recommended needle in it along with one leaner and one richer. As someone who has to tinker with everything, I spent some time with all three needles and finally ended up with the one that they recommended. I am not claiming that it makes more HP than the FCR, it doesn't, but my bike carburates cleanly from idle to WOT with no flat spots, hesitations or other bad manners. It is a little sensitive to high elevation, but that is easily adjusted with the needle screw. Good carbutation is especially important to my bike with the Rekluse clutch, it needs a smooth transition off idle.

The small diameter jets in the FCR will always be subject to blockage no matter how clean you try to keep things. I ride with several other guys how have FCRs and it seem that on any weekend one of them is taking apart their carb to clean a jet. So far, three other bikes in my group have converted to Eddys.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.