Fitting Reserve Fuel Tap To 08 YZ450

12 replies to this topic
  • roylo

Posted June 16, 2009 - 03:46 AM

What is involved or is it possible to fit a WR or similar fuel tap with reserve to my 08 YZ450? What is the easiest way to go about it and will it fit straight on?

Thanks for any replies..

• WB450

Posted June 16, 2009 - 06:57 AM

I think you can just order a WR petcock that will bolt right up. I know I could do this with my 07.

• Wiz636

Posted June 16, 2009 - 08:05 AM

Yep, just throw on a fuel petcock from a WR.

• roylo

Posted June 16, 2009 - 08:26 AM

Yep, just throw on a fuel petcock from a WR.

Anyone know which WR year models will fit or which is the better one to get?

• mitchicle

Posted June 16, 2009 - 08:54 AM

I would say get the one for the 08 WR

• WB450

Posted June 16, 2009 - 09:06 AM

Check this old thread, the end addresses the petcock issue. Like I said I had the choice of WR or YZ when I bought mine. I'm sure the TT OEM store could help you out.

http://www.thumperta...s tanks petcock

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2009 - 09:58 AM

Anyone know which WR year models will fit or which is the better one to get?

'07 or later, so that the form factor is the same as yours.

• roylo

Posted June 16, 2009 - 04:48 PM

Cool. Thanks everyone for replying :thumbsup:

• B_DRZ

Posted June 16, 2009 - 07:04 PM

Whats the benefit of doing this mod?

• Todddob

Posted June 16, 2009 - 07:22 PM

When you run out of gas, you switch it to reserve and have enough to limp home. Say, how much would the WR petcock leave you in reserve?

• roylo

Posted June 17, 2009 - 12:46 AM

A reserve fuel tap is basically there just to let you know when your running low on fuel. The bike will run out of fuel or start to when there is a litre or so of fuel left in the tank, then you turn the tap and use whats left in the tank.

I too would like to know how much fuel a 08 WR fuel tap would leave in the tank when set to reserve? Anyone know?

• B_DRZ

Posted June 17, 2009 - 06:07 PM

I always thought that bikes that had reserves on them had some special section in the tank. Thanks for the info.

• mitchicle

Posted June 18, 2009 - 01:06 PM

No the main pick up tube is longer than that of a non reserve fuel petcock. So instead of having one tube, the reserve fuel petcock has one long tube and one short one.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.