holes in 450 airbox

5 replies to this topic
  • xr600r

Posted March 17, 2003 - 03:32 PM

somebody did a post on drilling a bunch of holes in the side of the airbox. has anybody else done this ? and if so , what were the performance gains.
if anybody can post a pic of this mod. it would be appreciated.
thanx

• bleedblue

Posted March 17, 2003 - 06:26 PM

I wouldn't do it unless you are really going to uncork your WR with a YZ cam and race exhaust. I don't get my bike until friday, its getting a cam, DRD exhaust and losing the electric start but there is no way I'm drillin the airbox.

• tad69

Posted March 17, 2003 - 06:58 PM

somebody did a post on drilling a bunch of holes in the side of the airbox. has anybody else done this ?

I noticed at the last 3 races that Randy Hawkins bike had visible air box holes.2 different WR450F's and 1- WR250F. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • msgbean

Posted March 19, 2003 - 01:08 PM

xr660r, I drilled holes in mine (1") and the performance gain was terrific and not one of the holes can be seen from the outside.

• Jonesy920

Posted March 19, 2003 - 01:15 PM

Got any pictures ?

• bleedblue

Posted March 19, 2003 - 03:23 PM

bean,
Did you drill the holes in the top of the airbox by the battery? A guy I know drilled the outer part of the box (4 one inch holes per side,99 WR) and his air filter got very dirty every ride. When the conditions were wet and muddy the dirty water and mud went right through his air filter into the carb. that is why I wouldn't drill my airbox. I have seen the one inch filters that are availiable but they look a little hokie.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.