self-tapping piggyback oil drain plug

12 replies to this topic
  • decerebrate

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:23 PM

long story short the suzuki dealer did my last oil change. today i started an oil change and the torque on the drain plug WAAAY exceeded the 17.5 footpounds listed in the service manual and my plug is stripped. i didn't realize this until i couldn't get it to tighten back after draining the oil.

have any of you used a self-tapping piggyback drain plug to repair this?
how did you remove all the slivers of aluminum from where the plug screwed in? just pour a bunch of oil through the bike? the pieces of metal are what worries me the most. i will definitely get a magnetic drain plug now.

thanks in advance

• okbob51

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:56 PM

I can't say about piggyback thing but when I stripped out my Kawasaki drain plug hole I got an oversized metric bolt from this

http://www.cgenterpr...size_repair.htm

company in Canada. That took care of it.

• pnwdr350

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:42 PM

get a vice lock wrench and take that oid oil plug off pop on a new one.

Or go back to the dealer and complain that they stripped it and you want a free replacement.

when jiffy lube stripped my moms oil plug on her car they got a lashing from me.

• Spannermad

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:00 PM

Try These
http://www.timesert.com/

They work very well and should be readily available over there. The company I work for imports them into NZ.

• lowercasee

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:58 AM

I used a self tapping piggy back drain plug on my CR500 when the threads stripped out. Worked great. To clean out the aluminum, I just poured a few quarts of cheapo oil through it. No problems at all. The only part that was a PITA was tapping the threads for the new plug. My brother and I stood the bike up vertical so that I could get a nice straight thread job. Once the threads were there, I cleaned them out with brake cleaner, then used some red loctite on the piggy back bolt to keep it locked in willy. No bubbles no troubles.

• decerebrate

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:22 PM

thanks for your replies, i think i'm gonna get it helicoiled.

i know i *could* complain to the suzuki dealer, but i dont want them touching my bike ever again. everything i paid for they did wrong, this was just my latest discovery....

• Spannermad

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:11 AM

i know i *could* complain to the suzuki dealer, but i dont want them touching my bike ever again. everything i paid for they did wrong, this was just my latest discovery....

Make sure that the Helicoil is Loctited in,and cut to length. Use Loctite 262 super stud lock, leave it for 24 hours to set, clean out the inside with the appropriate tap, then fit your drain plug and fill with oil.
This will stop it coming out next time you drain your oil.

• bbushong

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:43 AM

It doesn't help anyone but you if you just don't go back to that dealer. At least let the manager know, in very clear terms, WHY they're losing your business, and your friends' business, forever. Maybe they'll pay a little better attention to what they're doing, and won't mess other people around in the future.

• KrustySS

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:00 PM

Coat the end of the bolt with a big blob of grease. The grease will catch many of the metal shavings. A magnetic drain plug is a good idea, but I don't believe a magnet will attract the shavings in this case...

• robert93727

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:08 PM

I'm going to try this. I'll let you know how it goes. If I screw it up, I can always tap it at that point. I don't see the point of the helicoils or timesert because They just add an extra part.

• Billy Goat

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:51 PM

I'm going to try this. I'll let you know how it goes. If I screw it up, I can always tap it at that point. I don't see the point of the helicoils or timesert because They just add an extra part.

Be very careful when you do it, I've heard horror stories of cracked cases with those.

Go very slow and use gear oil to lube it. Turn it in a little then back it off, repeat.

• KrustySS

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:16 AM

Posted Image

Anyone try this?

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

• carbster

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:20 AM

Looks kinda a scary... Unless you have total coverage from a skid plate I wouldn't even think about it. That and safety wire on the lever. I really think the plug is the only way to go... I'm even starting to safety wire the plugs on my bikes.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.