2009 YZ450 exhaust mods??

10 replies to this topic
  • Chop Shop

Posted June 15, 2009 - 08:31 AM

I just made the switch from Honda's and am waiting for my 2009 450 LE to get from the warehouse to the dealership.. Cant wait!!

Just curious, is there a mod that can be done to the stock exhaust or do I have to buy a pipe.

Also, what other YAMAHA specific info can you guys share. I understand the YZ does not separate the trans from the engine so any advice on oil grade, intervals and filters would be great.

Thanks
Zach

• grayracer513

Posted June 15, 2009 - 08:43 AM

There have been a number of people talk about removing the perforated cones from the muffler, but I have seen no feedback regarding whether they ever did so, and what the result were if they did.

I can guess that the muffler would be a lot louder, however.

• Chop Shop

Posted June 15, 2009 - 08:57 AM

Thanks Gray, I had heard that P.M.B made a new end cap and internal to help free up some flow.. Guess Its a pipe then!! Is Dr.D still the way to go on Yamaha?

• ace402

Posted June 15, 2009 - 08:59 AM

Amsoil 10W-40, I change mine in as little as three hours but no longer than 8 hour intervals. I depends on how hard I was riding during the time period. , Scott's stainless oil filter

• ace402

Posted June 15, 2009 - 09:00 AM

Guess Its a pipe then!! Is Dr.D still the way to go on Yamaha?

Yes, that seems to be the general consensus.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 15, 2009 - 09:20 AM

Thanks Gray, I had heard that P.M.B made a new end cap and internal to help free up some flow.. Guess Its a pipe then!! Is Dr.D still the way to go on Yamaha?

You might look into that some more. PMB has been a pretty good outfit. If they have something that helps, it might be worth trying. Bound to be cheaper than a pipe.

DRD is a very good pipe for a very good price, and is thus, IMO, a very good value. It is not the trickest thing on the market, nor perhaps the best performing, but it works very, very well. It's a "might do better, but can't go wrong" kind of thing.

• Chop Shop

Posted June 15, 2009 - 10:00 AM

You might look into that some more. PMB has been a pretty good outfit. If they have something that helps, it might be worth trying. Bound to be cheaper than a pipe.

DRD is a very good pipe for a very good price, and is thus, IMO, a very good value. It is not the trickest thing on the market, nor perhaps the best performing, but it works very, very well. It's a "might do better, but can't go wrong" kind of thing.

Are Yamaha guys big on MRD like the Honda boys?

• grayracer513

Posted June 15, 2009 - 10:29 AM

Those who have tried them seem to like them. MRD isn't real big with YZ people, but I haven't heard anything negative about them that I remember.

• qwert321

Posted June 15, 2009 - 05:43 PM

I have cut out cones and found a Little more throttle response but thats it. i have not tried richer jetting yet think it might make a difference. As for sound it is louder but not as loud as A 2008 rmz450 I compared it to.I also just expanded end cap hole to 35mm from what I measured as 32mm before I used a muffler pipe expander(broke it in the process$29) but have not rode bike after doing it.

• MATTH530

Posted June 15, 2009 - 06:22 PM

On my 07 450 I used a 2bros full system for a 06 yz 450 it had the low hanging head pipe "only cause it was on close out and very cheep'' turns out that thing made tons of bottom end power and plenty all around..I took it off the 07 and it went on 2 08's. I worked in a Yami.dealer as a parts manager, well I sold more 2 bros pipes than any other. I like the way they were made and never had a problem with the YZ pipes. If I were to get another pipe for a YZ 4t I would have to get another 2 Bros.
Matt

• r1usn

Posted June 16, 2009 - 04:16 AM

I put a PMB end cap on my 07 and i love it. What i would do is pull the stock end cap off the silencer and see if it pulls out the cones on the inside of the exhaust. If it does you can put a PMB end cap on, if not just rivet the stock one back on and buy an aftermarket exhaust. Either way you don't loose. The PMB end cap would just be cheaper.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.