My titanium footpegs are rusting!!!

9 replies to this topic
  • cumminsklx650

Posted June 15, 2009 - 07:13 AM

Ok, so when I bought a brand new 08 450 this winter, I thought the foot pegs were titanium (due to what people have told me). Riding yesterday, I noticed that they were rusting and my magnet sticks to them. The rear spring is ti, so whats up with the pegs? Same color, etc.

Steel foot pegs are costing me at least 3 to 5 seconds a lap!!!! hahahahahahaha

• r1usn

Posted June 15, 2009 - 08:04 AM

They were wrong not titanium.

• KJ790

Posted June 15, 2009 - 09:23 AM

07 was the last year of titanium footpegs stock. In 08 they went back to steel.

• cumminsklx650

Posted June 15, 2009 - 01:16 PM

HA HA HA HA -sucks to be me... I'm just glad the bike works well...

• MATTH530

Posted June 15, 2009 - 06:02 PM

I thought I was the onley one that didnt ride enough to keep things from rusting..lol I think my frame will rust before long..
Matt

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Family Man

Posted June 15, 2009 - 09:34 PM

oh thats funny. They made the foot pegs wider so people wouldnt notice the switch to cheaper steel. Most of the Magazines say you cant really notice ti vs steel on the foot pegs since the weight is so low on the bike.

• grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2009 - 06:01 AM

They made the pegs wider because they're better wider, and no human is ever going to be able to tell Ti from steel by how the bike feels with them on.

The OEM Yamaha Ti pegs are a bit on the fragile side, actually. The steel ones can be bent back, and are cheaper to replace. It's just an expense that doesn't give a lot of bang for the buck, and Yamaha probably just felt like the money would be better spent elsewhere.

• Family Man

Posted June 16, 2009 - 08:27 AM

yeah I have had a ti peg snap, after a wash out on the pavement doing a bout 50mph.

• grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2009 - 09:55 AM

The OEM Ti pegs appear to be castings, whereas those from Light Speed and others are fabbed/welded, and are much stronger.

• theuberacer

Posted June 16, 2009 - 01:18 PM

I broke a pro circuit Ti peg that I had on my KX250... previous owner had put them on there. I ended up replacing them with pro circuit SS pegs. I really like the stock pegs on my 08 though, so wide and great grip.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.