'99 WR400 Hard Starting

2 replies to this topic
  • LukeWilson

Posted June 14, 2009 - 01:15 PM

So i am in the process of rebuilding/supermotoing a '99 wr400. I find this bike a real pig to start, and sometimes it just won't start at all. Carb has been cleaned with an ultrasonic and all of the passages have been blown out. It has a brand new 45 pilot, 172 main and the mixture screw is about 2 turns out. I find that it is much harder to kick the bike over if the choke is on, it will go about half a kick and the lever stops dead. This problem goes away when i pop the choke lever back in. This problem doesn't make any sense to me. Once i get it going it runs just fine, I have found that it was actually way easier to start before the carb was cleaned. All of the parts that came out went back in and all of the settings are the same. Sometimes it will sound like its about to go and i will kick it over 4 or 5 times with it almost catching, but it just won't go. Please help me before my foot falls off!!!

Thanks,

Lucas

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bobdea

Posted June 14, 2009 - 02:02 PM

So i am in the process of rebuilding/supermotoing a '99 wr400. I find this bike a real pig to start, and sometimes it just won't start at all. Carb has been cleaned with an ultrasonic and all of the passages have been blown out. It has a brand new 45 pilot, 172 main and the mixture screw is about 2 turns out. I find that it is much harder to kick the bike over if the choke is on, it will go about half a kick and the lever stops dead. This problem goes away when i pop the choke lever back in. This problem doesn't make any sense to me. Once i get it going it runs just fine, I have found that it was actually way easier to start before the carb was cleaned. All of the parts that came out went back in and all of the settings are the same. Sometimes it will sound like its about to go and i will kick it over 4 or 5 times with it almost catching, but it just won't go. Please help me before my foot falls off!!!

Thanks,

Lucas

lol, sounds like my 426!
by all accounts, if there's anything even slightly wrong anywhere with the bike it's hard to start. I even remember when the 426 was new people bitching about getting the things started after dumping it in a race.

no idea what to tell you, other than maybe you screwed up the carb cleaning or have you checked the valves recently?
I need the check mine, hoping that's what's making mine such a bitch.

Also, that giant kick lever is part of the general issue, does not spin the motor fast at all.

Anyone got a list of shorter levers that will fit these bikes?

• Birdy426

Posted June 15, 2009 - 11:19 AM

Check to make sure you didn't put the slide in backwards. No joke, it can be done, and really really hard starting is one of the symptoms.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.