license plate holder for 07 and newer WR's that won't get chewed up by the rear tire?

28 replies to this topic
  • snaggletooth

Posted June 18, 2009 - 12:00 AM

Wow, that was BS to get bad gas for that! Someone once thought that I talked too much on a thread about my favorite plated dirt bike. He's a good TT'er, he PM'd me in a kind way and "asked" not "told" me to keep a lower profile on the subject. Since then I have tried to do so. Isn't that the way it's suposed to work?

That kind of stuf remindes me of what sometimes goes on in gun web sites. Some find a way to skirt the law and others get upset about it being brought out in a public forum. I can understand both sides of the fence but if you have something negative to express have some class and respond like jcorni did. Yes, I do love black rifles!

JSanfilippo,
Don Lee has about (8) left. I don't think he will have any more made. They ended up costing much more than he or I expected to reproduce and powder coat. maybe he just went with the wrong fab shop, as fare as price goes.

If they could be made from the same material, same powder coat work, and with quality stailess steel hardware at a cheaper price I think it would be worth continuing. I realy wish that they could be sold dirt cheap. Don is making a few bucks on them but it's not as much as one might think.

I don't doubt that someone will copy it themselves and may even sell it cheaper. I just hope they use the same quality fab work, powder coating, and SS hardware. I would aso like them to be pre-mounted on a OEM tail light cover. I think people get a little sketchy about putting holes in thier un-blemished bike parts. I know I do.

Theres another guy on ebay who sells a realy nice plate holder that keeps the factory tail light. It's more expencive but you can see that he put a lot of design thought and fab work into it. It seems well worth the price if your one to go easy while off road. I all most bought one myself a long time ago. The only thing that stopped me was that it looked a little heavy and I heard about it letting the tire hit the plate while off road. If I were doing the SM only thing I might have went for it. My plate was hard to come by, I didn't want to risk damaging it and having to ask the DMV for a replacement.

PS, It's realy Don Lee's design. I just told him what "I" wanted in a plate mount. S/T

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 18, 2009 - 12:39 PM

Theres another guy on ebay who sells a realy nice plate holder that keeps the factory tail light. It's more expencive but you can see that he put a lot of design thought and fab work into it. It seems well worth the price if your one to go easy while off road. I all most bought one myself a long time ago. The only thing that stopped me was that it looked a little heavy and I heard about it letting the tire hit the plate while off road. If I were doing the SM only thing I might have went for it. My plate was hard to come by, I didn't want to risk damaging it and having to ask the DMV for a replacement.

PS, It's realy Don Lee's design. I just told him what "I" wanted in a plate mount. S/T

Yea I saw that other ebay holder and when I researched it on here I wasn't to encouraged by what I learned. My use for the plate holder will be strictly off road and I need something that'll last.

Thanks for the info :worthy:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 19, 2009 - 07:25 AM

Sorry I am a little late to the party, but this is what I did:

http://www.thumperta...923&postcount=8

Posted Image

For the price, you get alot...very bright brake light, light weight and tucked up away from the rear wheel :worthy:

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 19, 2009 - 08:15 AM

Sorry I am a little late to the party, but this is what I did:

http://www.thumperta...923&postcount=8

Posted Image

For the price, you get alot...very bright brake light, light weight and tucked up away from the rear wheel :worthy:

OK... so I got the same one and I love it... My question - Do you need a special tool to crimp those type of electrical connectors?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 19, 2009 - 08:31 AM

My question - Do you need a special tool to crimp those type of electrical connectors?

I dunno :lol: I just cut them off and soldiered the two wires together :worthy:

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 19, 2009 - 08:52 AM

I dunno :lol: I just cut them off and soldiered the two wires together :worthy:

I did the same... I spliced in the OEM tail light connector because the first owner f'd the OEM taillight up... (Who cuts the wires off 1/4" from the light?:lol: :lol: :banana: )

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 19, 2009 - 08:55 AM

Who cuts the wires off 1/4" from the light?:worthy: :lol: :lol: )

Previous owners :lol:

• xrmarty

Posted June 19, 2009 - 04:26 PM

got the plate holder:banana: Super Nice:banana:

That was fast too!

• panaman

Posted August 18, 2009 - 12:06 PM

Wow, that was BS to get bad gas for that! Someone once thought that I talked too much on a thread about my favorite plated dirt bike. He's a good TT'er, he PM'd me in a kind way and "asked" not "told" me to keep a lower profile on the subject. Since then I have tried to do so. Isn't that the way it's suposed to work?

That kind of stuf remindes me of what sometimes goes on in gun web sites. Some find a way to skirt the law and others get upset about it being brought out in a public forum. I can understand both sides of the fence but if you have something negative to express have some class and respond like jcorni did. Yes, I do love black rifles!

JSanfilippo,
Don Lee has about (8) left. I don't think he will have any more made. They ended up costing much more than he or I expected to reproduce and powder coat. maybe he just went with the wrong fab shop, as fare as price goes.

If they could be made from the same material, same powder coat work, and with quality stailess steel hardware at a cheaper price I think it would be worth continuing. I realy wish that they could be sold dirt cheap. Don is making a few bucks on them but it's not as much as one might think.

I don't doubt that someone will copy it themselves and may even sell it cheaper. I just hope they use the same quality fab work, powder coating, and SS hardware. I would aso like them to be pre-mounted on a OEM tail light cover. I think people get a little sketchy about putting holes in thier un-blemished bike parts. I know I do.

I would like to get one of those plate holders .. do you know if there are any left?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.