license plate holder for 07 and newer WR's that won't get chewed up by the rear tire?

28 replies to this topic
  • xrmarty

Posted June 13, 2009 - 09:54 PM

Just got my 450 plated in AZ :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :lol: (Due to work I live in both states and have dual residency)Which plate holder you like the best and where can I get one?

thx

Marty

• KennyMc

Posted June 13, 2009 - 10:03 PM

Just got my 450 plated:thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Which plate holder you like the best and where can I get one?

thx

Marty

Hey, you can't do that:busted:

Well, I have used the one from Baja Designs for over a year now with no problems.

https://www.bajadesi...d, Led Dropdown

• ww44wrf450f

Posted June 14, 2009 - 07:19 AM

Hey, you can't do that:busted:

Well, I have used the one from Baja Designs for over a year now with no problems.

https://www.bajadesi...d, Led Dropdown

:thumbsup: on the baja!!

• William1

Posted June 14, 2009 - 07:42 AM

PM Snaggletooth.

• xrmarty

Posted June 14, 2009 - 09:55 AM

PM Snaggletooth.

Yeah I saw his holder. Unfortunately it's one of a kind. He should make more of them and sell them!

• William1

Posted June 14, 2009 - 01:21 PM

He is, that is why I suggested PM'ing him.

• snaggletooth

Posted June 14, 2009 - 03:37 PM

XRMARTY, GOOOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!

Here is the ebay link if you want to check it out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=300318412813
All I can say is that it works realy well for me. The ad states that "I have well over 1,000+ hard off road miles with it." After futher thought, I know I have may more plated off road miles than that. I plan to add some more miles late this evening.

It is a super strong no frills mount that doesn't have a place for turn signals. It keeps the mount super light. I like my mini scoop LED signals mounted on the fender. They are idestructable! I don't do super cross jumps (to old and scared) but sometimes I do jump hard enough bottom the suspention out and I have never damaged the plate or mount. This mount makes the plate look like it's just floating behing the tail light.

There many designs out there even some that are home made. Just get something that won't put that golden plate in harms way. My XR650R ate my plate many times and I even lost my WR's plate (friend found it for me) before I went to this mount. Check them all out and see what works best for you.

PS,
I made Don (designer of the mount) agree to discount them to TT'ers for thirty days here on TT but the add has run out. S/T

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 14, 2009 - 07:00 PM

I got this one based on coop's suggestion, and I am happy. I use every bit of the rear suspension too:busted:
Posted Image
It's UFO... nice LED tail light / brake light, mounted the plate with a Sicass backer.

http://www.oemcycle....em/product/5186

http://www.sicassrac...n&ppinc=search2

• xrmarty

Posted June 14, 2009 - 07:47 PM

XRMARTY, GOOOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!

Here is the ebay link if you want to check it out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=300318412813
All I can say is that it works realy well for me. The ad states that "I have well over 1,000+ hard off road miles with it." After futher thought, I know I have may more plated off road miles than that. I plan to add some more miles late this evening.

It is a super strong no frills mount that doesn't have a place for turn signals. It keeps the mount super light. I like my mini scoop LED signals mounted on the fender. They are idestructable! I don't do super cross jumps (to old and scared) but sometimes I do jump hard enough bottom the suspention out and I have never damaged the plate or mount. This mount makes the plate look like it's just floating behing the tail light.

There many designs out there even some that are home made. Just get something that won't put that golden plate in harms way. My XR650R ate my plate many times and I even lost my WR's plate (friend found it for me) before I went to this mount. Check them all out and see what works best for you.

PS,
I made Don (designer of the mount) agree to discount them to TT'ers for thirty days here on TT but the add has run out. S/T

Thanks! I will order one as soon as the Lakers riot coverage ends:busted: ................. J/k

I like being able to retain the stock tail light:ride:

• Regalman

Posted June 15, 2009 - 10:14 AM

From the eBay ad - If you want a license plate mount for your 2007-09 WR that will maintain the factory tail/brake light, has a clean look, doesn’t require you to drill into your (standard US motorcycle) license plate or fender, and was designed to meet the rigors of hard off road ridding, look no further!

I'm a happy users of SnaggleTooths plate as well... however, he probably should add that you do in fact need to drill the bottom plate of your taillight. Not a big deal, but it is worth mentioning.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snaggletooth

Posted June 16, 2009 - 12:07 AM

Regalman,
I'm glad it's working for you. Your right it is worh mentioning. The way I wrote the ad is as follows. "It simply mounts directly to the tail light housing cover using four small stainless steel machine screws and lock nuts. ." I guess I could have been a little more descriptive. I hope it's not missleading.

In the instructions I wrote,
1. Mount your license plate to the mount using the supplied stainless steel machine screws and lock nuts.
2. Align the mount to the underside of the tail/brake light cover. Ensure that the cutout(s) in the mount allow access to the three factory screw that secure the tail/brake light and cover to the fender. It is also a good idea to ensure that the license plate is properly aligned below the tail/brake light. The top of the license plate should be close to the bottom of the tail/brake light and look squared off at the rear fender. Mark this position on the tail/brake light cover through the four screw holes in the mount. For a perfect fit hold the mount in its proper location and have another person confirm that the license plate looks squared off of the fender.
3. Remove the tail/brake light cover by unscrewing the three factory screws that secure it to the fender.
4. Drill the four mounting holes into the tail/brake light cover at the markings using a drill bit that comes close to the size of the hole. * Note: If for what ever reason you chose to remove the license plate mount, simply cover the holes with black silicone (RTV) and your tail/brake light cover will be as good as new.
5. Align the four holes in the tail/brake light cover with the four holes in the mount. Secure the mount to the tail/brake light cover with the supplied stainless steel machine screws and lock nuts. * Note: ensure that the lock nuts are on the inside of the tail/brake light cover.
6. Re-mount the tail/brake light cover (with attached license plate mount) utilizing the three factory screws. *Note: Be careful not to over tighten the three factory screws that secure the tail/brake light to the fender. If you strip the threads an over sized screw may be used.

• xrmarty

Posted June 16, 2009 - 08:56 PM

someone just gave me BAD GAS for getting my bike plated:excuseme: :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What am I missing here?????????????

I did everything legally. Because of my work I have dual residence in Cali and AZ. What's the beef????

• xrmarty

Posted June 16, 2009 - 09:25 PM

^^^^^^^^BTW: I just placed the order for the snaggletooth plate. Cant' wait for it!!!!!!!!!

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 16, 2009 - 10:15 PM

Congrats xrmarty.

I don't think the thread was worthy of bad gas. Got something to say? We're all adults here just shoot a PM or something.

BTW snaggletooth are you planning on making anymore plate holders? Thats a clean set up :thumbsup:

• xrmarty

Posted June 16, 2009 - 10:24 PM

Congrats xrmarty.

I don't think the thread was worthy of bad gas. Got something to say? We're all adults here just shoot a PM or something.

BTW snaggletooth are you planning on making anymore plate holders? Thats a clean set up :thumbsup:

Im so paranoid now that I will get bad gas I even changed my signature to remove "plated" next to my bikes.

• William1

Posted June 17, 2009 - 01:38 AM

Complain about the bad gas to a mod or Bryan. It was not justified at all. period.

I hope you get to keep the plate. Best of luck. :thumbsup:

• jcorni

Posted June 17, 2009 - 08:29 AM

XRMarty
I just left you some GOOD gas... :lol:

Dont worry about the bad gas...

By the way, if you bike is plated in CA, probably not the best idea to post is on the forums...it sends mixed signals about the law. :thumbsup:

• xrmarty

Posted June 17, 2009 - 09:48 AM

XRMarty

By the way, if you bike is plated in CA, probably not the best idea to post is on the forums...it sends mixed signals about the law. :thumbsup:

Both bikes plated legally in AZ.

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 17, 2009 - 09:49 AM

XRMarty

The law IS the mixed signal.... good for EVERYONE that has a plated WR and you live in left coast flower sniffin' state like I do.... As long as people can continue to go into retail establishments and come out with a "mini chopper" or "mini crotch rocket" that has a plate on it... I will continue to abuse every f***ing loop hole the state of WA presents...:lol:

Just my .02 cents.

I'm sure the bad gas giver is a KTM owner anyway:p

• xrmarty

Posted June 17, 2009 - 09:57 AM

XRMarty

Thanks bro!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.