06 yz450 issues!

12 replies to this topic
  • J_Bones_495

Posted June 12, 2009 - 09:17 PM

First timer here. I am looking for some insight about my bike. I was at the track today and had some issues. My bike wants to not stay running when in gear unless i am actually riding it. it also kicked me back a few time when trying to kick it over. I did notice after riding a creamy type of fluid that seamed to be oil based coming from the engine breather tube and my radiator fluid has gotten low. I do not see any leaks from the radiators. it also back fired on me when i would try to start iot in gear. Does anyone have any clue as to these issues? Thanks for the help!:thumbsup:

• ajeb

Posted June 12, 2009 - 10:22 PM

There are two types of leaks, internal and external. Drain the oil, check for water in with the oil. Water is heavier than oil so should drain first. If water is present you will have a gasket failure or a crack somewhere.

• nickeenoo

Posted June 13, 2009 - 09:09 AM

Don't give it any gas when you are starting it. If it does not want to stay running while in gear you might have a worn out or non-adjusted clutch.

• J_Bones_495

Posted June 13, 2009 - 01:27 PM

Thanks. i will try to look at the oil next change.

• J_Bones_495

Posted June 13, 2009 - 01:30 PM

i don't give it gas until it is running. What do you think about the cream colored, oily fluid coming from the engine breather tube?

• Aka.Goose

Posted June 13, 2009 - 07:21 PM

Thanks. i will try to look at the oil next change.

Don't keep riding it like that! Drain the oil and see if it's water contaminated...if so you have an internal water leak...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nickeenoo

Posted June 14, 2009 - 05:23 AM

It should be oily, it is oil from the engine. How cream colored is it? Usually cream colored means there is water in the oil. Maybe post some pics of what it looks like.

• TIG88

Posted June 14, 2009 - 05:34 AM

I have, on occasion, had some creamy colored fluid come from the breather tube. I credit it to a little bit of oil, mixed with some existing condensation.

So it would not stay running at low RPM's? How did it run while gassing it?

• J_Bones_495

Posted June 14, 2009 - 02:53 PM

it runs good when i am on the gas. i am going to replace the clutch, which should fix the stalling while in gear. But the water in the oil, i am guessing is a head gasket leak? Thanks for all the replys and if anybody has any other suggestions i am greatful to hear.

• Diode663

Posted June 15, 2009 - 03:31 AM

Have You ever stalled the bike out or started it in a puddle deep enough to reach your lower frame rails? And have you changed the oil yet? Before I rerouted my breather I stalled in a puddle and ingested some water, I didnt realize it until my bike stopped running at idle and I checked the oil only to find that it was indeed milky. After changing the oil 5 times to get all the moisture out It ran well at idle again.

On a side note Maxima maximum 4 extra turns the consistency of almost toothpaste when mixed with water, it took a whole hour to get the stuff to drain from the motor the first time and I didnt even get it all out.

• J_Bones_495

Posted June 15, 2009 - 04:57 AM

I just bought the bike about a month ago and have changed the oil twice (i do not know if the previous owner had any issues with water or not),however the oil did not look milky either time. But, for some reason i have lost some of the coolant (about a cup or so) and have ridden it 4 times and it just started acting up this last trip to the track. I do think the clutch is bad and am hopeful that it will help with the ideling in gear problem. but unsure about the coolant and breather tube issue.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted June 15, 2009 - 05:23 AM

I just bought the bike about a month ago and have changed the oil twice (i do not know if the previous owner had any issues with water or not),however the oil did not look milky either time. But, for some reason i have lost some of the coolant (about a cup or so) and have ridden it 4 times and it just started acting up this last trip to the track. I do think the clutch is bad and am hopeful that it will help with the ideling in gear problem. but unsure about the coolant and breather tube issue.

come on man dont be lazy just drain your oil and see if water comes out. you dont want to mess the bike..

also dont replace the clutch untill you take it apart to see if thats even the problem. taking the clutch apart takes 10 min if that

• Diode663

Posted June 15, 2009 - 05:50 AM

Everyones gonna agree changing the oil is the first step. What kinda riding were you doing prior to your day at the track. You can lose coolant if you're dogging it through the woods. And what ever is happening to your clutch is probably due to oil issues. You don't even really have to drain the oil out, just look at the fill cap, if thats milky its time to change the oil a few times. Also if your clutch is dragging its more then likely is a basket problem then the actual clutch.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.