How many hours based on rear tire wear?

27 replies to this topic
  • nickeenoo

Posted June 11, 2009 - 07:05 AM

Here's the deal: I just did some trade with a buddy of mine for his 07 YZ450. He's had it for a few years but has not really ridden it much. I would like to put an hour meter on it but want some educated guesses as to how much time is really on the bike so I can have a good starting point.

I know this is very subjective and there are a lot of factors involved but I would still like some input. I will likely take the highest possible hours and use that number for maintenance, etc.

The guy who owned it was an average play rider and the bike was ridden in varying terrain from sand to rocks and everything in between. It was never raced although it did spend a few days at the moto track.

Also, I would like to hear from guys with hour meters on their bikes as they tend to be much more realistic about actual time on the bike.

The tire is the stock Dunlop 756 that came with the bike.

Thanks,

Nate
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Wiz636

Posted June 11, 2009 - 07:36 AM

If that is the original 756 then thre are not very many hours on the bike because they wear out fast. There are so many variables that it really is impossible to determine but my first thought was 15-20 hours of play riding.

• nickeenoo

Posted June 11, 2009 - 10:27 AM

Thanks, I would guess the bike at about that, but I've never had an hour meter so its a little tough to tell the actual time I have on a bike. I also tend to be a little harder on tires than most so my perception is likely off.

Nate

• yzprovxr4

Posted June 11, 2009 - 11:21 AM

I still have the original tire on my bike (2007 yz450 also) and the tire looks about the same and I have 24 hours on my bike.

• TIG88

Posted June 11, 2009 - 11:34 AM

I would say no more than 25 hours. My rear tire looks very similar, and it has 19 hours on it. Same sort of play riding. Use 20 hours as your starting point.

• 06crf_er

Posted June 11, 2009 - 11:44 AM

That's one dirty a$$ torn up wheel for that little amount of riding.

• 642MX

Posted June 11, 2009 - 12:07 PM

I raced a GP last year with a fresh 756. In one hour it looked worse than that. But, the rim looks like its off an early 90's YZ.

If I acquired an 07 that I was unsure of the hours, I would replace the timing chain, change the oil and adjust the valves if needed..... and then go ride it. :thumbsup:

• nickeenoo

Posted June 11, 2009 - 02:57 PM

I raced a GP last year with a fresh 756. In one hour it looked worse than that. But, the rim looks like its off an early 90's YZ.

If I acquired an 07 that I was unsure of the hours, I would replace the timing chain, change the oil and adjust the valves if needed..... and then go ride it. :thumbsup:

The rim is just dirty, its actually in good shape. It's a buddy of mine who owned it so I know its not got a crazy amount of hours. He would guess about 20 but I just wanted to know for my own maintenance schedule. How many hours do you typically go before a timing chain replacement? I know the bike has no more than thirty hours on it.

Thanks,

Nate

• 642MX

Posted June 11, 2009 - 03:18 PM

The rim is just dirty, its actually in good shape. It's a buddy of mine who owned it so I know its not got a crazy amount of hours. He would guess about 20 but I just wanted to know for my own maintenance schedule. How many hours do you typically go before a timing chain replacement? I know the bike has no more than thirty hours on it.

Thanks,

Nate

I replace my chain every year. But, if you want to go by hours... I guess 50 is a safe number.

• SparksXR426

Posted June 11, 2009 - 03:33 PM

Just replaced my stock 756 at 14hrs, looks about the same as the one in the pics(but my wheels are shiny)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sic

Posted June 11, 2009 - 03:52 PM

Hmmm... Hare Scrambles, east coast, I'd say 4 events would certainly get my tire looking like that. 4 * 2 = 8 hours on bike.

Sic...

• nickeenoo

Posted June 11, 2009 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to assume the bike has 25 hours on it and call it good. Now I just need to get an hour meter and go from there. Is there any way to get an hour meter with some time already on it? Hook it up to a car?

Nate

• KJ790

Posted June 11, 2009 - 05:37 PM

It depends on what he rides in. If he rode it in sand then the tire could look like new pretty much forever. On harder ground I have found a 756 looks like that after 9-10 laps. The rim looks like crap though, which makes me wonder.

• nickeenoo

Posted June 11, 2009 - 06:57 PM

It depends on what he rides in. If he rode it in sand then the tire could look like new pretty much forever. On harder ground I have found a 756 looks like that after 9-10 laps. The rim looks like crap though, which makes me wonder.

The rim really is in good shape. There is a light coating of a greyish dust like if you just ran through a mud puddle on a gravel road. I don't know if the pictures show it but there is a slight blue tint to them. I don't know why but the dirt where the bike was last ridden always does that to the tires and rims. Just to make sure I just took a wet paper towel and with one swipe the rim looks brand new.

• grayracer513

Posted June 11, 2009 - 09:25 PM

I don't know if the pictures show it but there is a slight blue tint to them. I don't know why but the dirt where the bike was last ridden always does that to the tires and rims.

I can't definitively outline the chemistry involved, but the white clay in the coastal areas of SoCal is great for that. The tires on our dirt trackers were distinctly blue by the end of the day. Once when I was sitting on the bike waiting for the main to start, a kid asked me about them. I told them they were special ordered from Czechoslovakia, and cost $100 each (this was when tires were $20)

• nickeenoo

Posted June 12, 2009 - 10:04 AM

Once when I was sitting on the bike waiting for the main to start, a kid asked me about them. I told them they were special ordered from Czechoslovakia, and cost $100 each (this was when tires were $20)

Nice touch. The kid probably spent the next two weeks trying to track them down. There is quite a bit of clay in the dirt that turns the tires blue; there's also a lot of alkali. Not sure why the tires turn blue but the dirt is super sweet to ride on about two days after a rain storm.

Nate

• saccityfire

Posted June 12, 2009 - 02:39 PM

If the rim is that badly taken care of how many times did he change the oil or take care of other maintenance items?

I wouldn't buy a bike that looks like that much less care about putting an hour meter on it regardless of the "it's only dirty" factor. Those that take care of their rides would be ashamed to have their bike seen like that unless it is during or directly after a ride. I would ask to see the brake pads and sprockets. What does the air cleaner look like? Make sure to check the swing arm, linkage and steering bearings for grease. I agree with the poster regarding timing chain etc..

Perhaps I'm too type A about my bikes.

Scot

• nickeenoo

Posted June 12, 2009 - 04:20 PM

If the rim is that badly taken care of how many times did he change the oil or take care of other maintenance items?

I wouldn't buy a bike that looks like that much less care about putting an hour meter on it regardless of the "it's only dirty" factor. Those that take care of their rides would be ashamed to have their bike seen like that unless it is during or directly after a ride. I would ask to see the brake pads and sprockets. What does the air cleaner look like? Make sure to check the swing arm, linkage and steering bearings for grease. I agree with the poster regarding timing chain etc.

Perhaps I'm too type A about my bikes.

Scot

I'm going to say this one last time. THE RIMS ARE IN GREAT SHAPE!!! The photo was taken directly after a ride. What's even more, is that I was on the ride with him and that is when we discussed my acquistion of his bike. Also, if I wanted to take a look at the brake pads or sprockets, I would walk out to my garage and take a look myself because that's where my buddy stores his bike half the time. Also, I am the one that has done half the maintenance on the bike.

I am completely comfortable buying this bike and/or recommending it to someone else. The bike was in no way, shape, or form abused. The only problem with the bike is the original owner, who is a friend of mine, did not have an hour meter. I asked the question about time on the bike so when I buy an hour meter I have a good starting point. I have never had an hour meter on any bike and therefore am not fully comfortable claiming how many hours are on his bike, my bike, or any other, although I know his bike has not been ridden much. This is the third and final time I will respond to the dirty rim situation.

• 642MX

Posted June 12, 2009 - 05:55 PM

Man.... that rim sure is dirty... :lol:

Just teasing nickeenoo. Clean it up and post some pics of your new ride. :thumbsup: :lol:

• nickeenoo

Posted June 12, 2009 - 06:17 PM

Will do. I'm in the process of swapping over a few parts so it might be next week sometime. What would you use to clean the rims?

All kidding aside, this site really is sweet. Thanks to all who gave answers, even those who brought up the rims; I know you're just looking out for a brother:thumbsup: .

Nate

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.