Yamalube or Belray thumper for YZ450 08?

18 replies to this topic
  • Ridon

Posted June 11, 2009 - 05:52 AM

Ok i know that these oil threads have been discussed till death...but it's a simple question. Is Belray Thumper a better oil for YZ450 08 or i should stick to Yamalube?

• WB450

Posted June 11, 2009 - 08:01 AM

Yamalube is crap, I like Amsoil.

• thatkid46

Posted June 11, 2009 - 09:47 AM

I run yamalube and am very happy with it. We have quite a few guys that come in who dont ride yamahas and still use their oil. I've heard people go back and forth "(insert brand of oil) is crap, I'd never run it". Guess its all personal preference.

• grayracer513

Posted June 11, 2009 - 10:01 AM

Yamalube has had a demonstrable inability to retain its viscosity under shear conditions such as commonly found in MC transmissions. It does not stay in grade very well at all as of the most recent tests I know of.

• 350warrior

Posted June 11, 2009 - 10:05 AM

Were do I get amsoil? I been wanting to try it, but no local shops have it.

• thatkid46

Posted June 11, 2009 - 10:08 AM

Yamalube has had a demonstrable inability to retain its viscosity under shear conditions such as commonly found in MC transmissions. It does not stay in grade very well at all as of the most recent tests I know of.

is that across the board? or does their full syn do fine?

• Ridon

Posted June 11, 2009 - 10:19 AM

Yeah i read that comment again in another thread written by you and that's why i'm looking for another oil to use. I heard a lot for Amsoil but in Europe it is impossible to find it. I have to choose among Belray,Motorex,Motul,Repsol and Yamalube.

• grayracer513

Posted June 11, 2009 - 01:25 PM

Motorex and Motul have addressed this issue. I believe Bel Ray has as well, but I'm not totally certain.

Amsoil can be purchased directly from http://www.amsoil.com/

• r1usn

Posted June 11, 2009 - 02:48 PM

yamalube only has semi-syn. And dino oil of course.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted June 11, 2009 - 03:30 PM

Yeah i read that comment again in another thread written by you and that's why i'm looking for another oil to use. I heard a lot for Amsoil but in Europe it is impossible to find it. I have to choose among Belray,Motorex,Motul,Repsol and Yamalube.

The best oil, is clean oil. Of your above choices, I would use Motorex.

• rdrata

Posted June 11, 2009 - 09:26 PM

Motorex and Motul have addressed this issue. I believe Bel Ray has as well, but I'm not totally certain.

Amsoil can be purchased directly from http://www.amsoil.com/

Thanks for the link, I picked some Amsoil up on there today.:thumbsup: Moyul 300VT is up to $17.95 in the shops!:lol:

• monkeymotocross

Posted June 11, 2009 - 09:56 PM

ive been running belray thumper oil and after 3-4 hours it still comes out in decent shape, motul 300v is the best in my opion if you can afford it 24.99 a liter here :thumbsup: gonna try lucas oil next

• ThumperKid250F

Posted June 13, 2009 - 09:41 AM

rotella

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2009 - 11:53 AM

rotella

...is a better lubricant than Yamalube, but it has the same problem with staying in grade.

• mnm567

Posted June 14, 2009 - 03:38 AM

Rotella for three rides, then change. $11.00 a gallon at Walmart. Many oil analysis have shown that all oils have suffered from shear stability. Change your oil often and you don't have to worry about it. I refuse to pay $10.00 a quart.

• gtxkid

Posted June 14, 2009 - 06:59 AM

I took a tour at Pro Circut and they let us know that you should change it every 8 hours.
Did not matter what oil as long as you change it.

• grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2009 - 08:20 AM

Rotella for three rides, then change. ... Many oil analysis have shown that all oils have suffered from shear stability.

Lab tests and my own analyses show otherwise. Rotella and others of its ilk should be changed after no more than 3 hours. After that time, you are running a 15w-30 to 15W-25 oil, not a 15w-40. Leave it longer if that works for you. It will still be a pretty high quality 30wt.

I have had samples of Amsoil MCF, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, and Golden Spectro 4 go beyond 8 hours and still be at or above SAE 40 at 200 ℉. ASTM D-6278 lab tests have born this out as well.

It's really very simple. Multi-grade gear oils don't have this problem to a significant extent because the additives that make an oil a multi-grade are selected for, and tough enough for, that task. Oils blended primarily for engine use don't use the same additives, and quite often fall short in that regard. The better contemporary motorcycle oils have been blending their product with these tougher additives in recent years, so it does make a difference. As time goes on, the list of those oils that are capable of holding up well grows longer, but none of them are sold in gallon jugs at Wally World.

Footnote: I have no recent samplings of Mobil 1 Truck & SUV, Extended Performance, or High Mileage oils, all of which are sold at a discount (although still more expensive than Rotella). Those looking for a break might want to run a test of their own on one of these. Truck & SUV or EP would be the most likely to pass, IMO.

• SpacinDangler

Posted June 14, 2009 - 11:54 AM

I use Shell Rotella T full synthetic in everything,,,,,great oil,inexpensive and available at your local wally world.

• kain522

Posted June 15, 2009 - 08:04 AM

Just wondering, has anyone tried the Klotz MX4 ?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.