98 400f smoking on start up

9 replies to this topic
  • yz400fsmasher

Posted June 09, 2009 - 08:55 PM

alright my good ol' 98 400f is burning oil and blowing smoke out the exhaust. mostly on a cold start, not so much when its warmed up. could it be bad valve guides or piston rings?

• 426 NOOB

Posted June 09, 2009 - 09:06 PM

smoke on start up is usually valve guides but if it has not been rebuilt in a while then it could be a mixture of both rings and valve guides.

• yzf426f

Posted June 10, 2009 - 01:48 AM

hey buddy.now i dont know how true this is but i have been told it is a possibilty.if you have done a oil change and have over filled it ,it could cause valve seals to swell and oil will burn.sorry if this doesent help much but maybe gray could tell us wether its true or false and if its true explain it better then wat i have because i carnt remember all of what i heard but it was to do with overfilling oil and valve seals swelling.

• grayracer513

Posted June 10, 2009 - 06:07 AM

if you have done a oil change and have over filled it ,it could cause valve seals to swell and oil will burn.

That falls under the general category of Bovine Scatology (BS for short).

Overfilling beyond the absolute capacity of the oil tank causes there too be too much oil in the crankcase, which causes the crank to dip into it and throw it on the cylinder wall, overwhelming the oil rings. In a '98~'05 model, it also means that the excess is going to the tank is being dumped on top of the head via the pressure balance vent, causing oil out the breather and taxing the valve guide seals.

• yz400fsmasher

Posted June 10, 2009 - 03:29 PM

when you say the absolute capacity do you mean filled all the way to the top? i did just change the oil but put the 1.80 u.s. ounces the manual said to put in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FinchFan194

Posted June 10, 2009 - 06:49 PM

My bike (04) blows black smoke upon start up just a little bit though. I had a leak down test done on it and it is blowing past the rings. Good luck

• grayracer513

Posted June 10, 2009 - 06:53 PM

Absolute capacity means all the tank will hold. In a YZ400, you reach this point at somewhere around two quarts added after an oil change.

Also, your manual does NOT tell you to add 1.8 Qt after an oil change. 1.8 is the total amount of oil in the system. You can expect to add that much to an engine that is being filled for the first time after being built or rebuilt. The amount you put in after an oil change is 1.7 Qt if you change the oil filter, and 1.6 Qt if you don't (page 2.1)

• yz400fsmasher

Posted June 13, 2009 - 07:46 PM

thanks alot for the info

• TIG88

Posted June 14, 2009 - 05:37 AM

My bike (04) blows black smoke upon start up just a little bit though. I had a leak down test done on it and it is blowing past the rings. Good luck

Black smoke indicates and overly rich condition? Blipping the throttle with the choke on?

Blueish smoke would be oil burning.

• FinchFan194

Posted June 14, 2009 - 03:57 PM

Black smoke indicates and overly rich condition? Blipping the throttle with the choke on?

Blueish smoke would be oil burning.

Top end is shot so I keep having to richen up the bike as the compression goes down the motor will pull in less fuel causing the bike to lean out.

It only smokes at start up after she warms up no more smokin and no blippin with choke on either.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.