04 WR 450 may need a CDI

2 replies to this topic
  • madroberts07

Posted June 09, 2009 - 05:55 PM

A wile ago I sank my bike in very muddy water up past the gas tank:banghead: I have completely torn the bike apart cleaned it up re greased everything, and rebilt the motor. The bike will not run properly,it wont idel for crap and backfires heavy on decel and the head pipe realy heats up when its ideling. I have tripple checked everything that could be mechanicly wrong with the the bike. (valves, timingmarks, carb etc.). The bike is set up the exact same as it was before I sank it.(all the free mods, twin air powerflo filter, YZ exaust cam, Yosh pipe and the same jetting). I thougt most likely it was the carb,maybe the pilot jet clogged. I have completely torn the carb down and cleaned it like 7 times, theres nothing wrong with the carb:foul: The bike sounds like its miss timed when it's running, its not off mechanicly so im thinking its the CDI unit shorted out from being wet. one more thing The lights also are not working:foul: Eneway I was wondering if there is a way to test a CDI and if anybody could share any helpful advice or thoughts on this:prof: :thumbsup: :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kskyles

Posted June 10, 2009 - 09:45 AM

If you have a manual, I would look at the electical section. There is a flowchart that helps you narrow down issues that you're having.

i ran through the flow chart and it helped me narrow my issue down to the CDI. it was good to learn about the TPS and how to adjust it.

you may have a misadjusted TPS. those CDI units are expensive, so i'd try to narrow it down using the manual first.

• madroberts07

Posted June 11, 2009 - 02:34 PM

If you have a manual, I would look at the electical section. There is a flowchart that helps you narrow down issues that you're having.

i ran through the flow chart and it helped me narrow my issue down to the CDI. it was good to learn about the TPS and how to adjust it.

you may have a misadjusted TPS. those CDI units are expensive, so i'd try to narrow it down using the manual first.

I did finaly narrowed it down and it sucks but it needs a voltage regulator/rectifier and a CDI unit:foul: bolth of them got mest up in the water. thanks for the advice though:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.