white headlight???

11 replies to this topic
  • sconeracing

Posted June 09, 2009 - 10:41 AM

OK OK I know I am barking up a old tree, but has anyone had luck getting a OEM white headlight for there WR???

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 09, 2009 - 12:11 PM

Shawn... bring your blue head light cowl over to my house and I'll make it white:ride:

Posted ImagePosted Image

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 09, 2009 - 10:44 PM

How'd that old jingle go?

"Don't just paint! Give it the Krylon touch!"

Krylon fusion more specifically. That stuff is the shizz for plastic and quite durable :thumbsup:

• Dube2

Posted June 10, 2009 - 06:36 AM

not in to the white stuff, but can't they be ordered from a canadian yamaha dealer?

• snaggletooth

Posted June 11, 2009 - 03:04 AM

Looks like you can find white plastic for everything but the head light cowl. Sorry, I'm sure you know that. Personally, I don't like painting plastics. Too big of a PITA to keep nice, unless you never crash. I won't go into painting a gas tank, that was a nightmare!

The only piece of dirt bike plastic I would ever even think about painting would be the head light cowl as SJMC DON did. My headlight cowl is the only plastic part on my WR that doesn't seem to get scratched up. I would have faith that the Krylon would hold up just fine there. A minor touch up that only occured once in a great while would make it well worth it.

Why do they make every palstic part in white but not the head light cowl anyway? BTW, do they offer a white WR in Canada?

PS,

Don, that is one sweet looking white WR! I plan to be ridding with white plastics (white Krylon headlight cowl) when it's time for a new set of graphics/plastics, S/T.

• sconeracing

Posted June 11, 2009 - 09:03 AM

Shawn... bring your blue head light cowl over to my house and I'll make it white:ride:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Is that your new WR Don?
if so you and Stacy will match:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted June 11, 2009 - 09:09 AM

Is that your new WR Don?
if so you and Stacy will match:thumbsup:

No, but my new one looks exactly like it:thumbsup:

I have beat that Krylon Fusion pretty good already this spring... went to Reiter with Pete and the girls the other day... Pete and I tried a little side loop to the road and it turned into a pack and carry through some downed trees.... all I could think is that the cowl is getting scratched but it came out unscathed... I painted it like a year ago... it had a little chipping along the background seam right after I painted but it was very minor....

Thanks S/T, I agree on the painting thing, I would not try to paint anything but this headlight cowl and the cowls are only like $13 from Yamaha and that is surprisingly cheap. DeCal works will make any pre-printed background you want:thumbsup:

• blunko

Posted June 13, 2009 - 10:57 PM

not in to the white stuff, but can't they be ordered from a canadian yamaha dealer?

Yep, got mine (Aussie ADR version though) from my Yamaha dealer.
Well, it came as a part of a complete kit, graphics, seat cover, hand guards etc.

Posted Image]

Clickies for big picci

• Regalman

Posted June 15, 2009 - 10:17 AM

Yep, got mine (Aussie ADR version though) from my Yamaha dealer.
Well, it came as a part of a complete kit, graphics, seat cover, hand guards etc.

Posted Image]

Clickies for big picci

That looks great... dare I ask how much that cost from the dealer? What all white plastics did it come with? Looks great.

• snaggletooth

Posted June 16, 2009 - 12:15 AM

Another sweet looking white WR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does it have the bigger head light? I want one of thoes too!

• blunko

Posted June 20, 2009 - 07:21 PM

That looks great... dare I ask how much that cost from the dealer? What all white plastics did it come with? Looks great.

Haha, yeah, you wanna be sitting down when you hear the recommended retail price. Fortunately, I got it through someone in the know, who knows my dealer, who knows his mates brother, who owed him a favour etc... so it cost me very little. I think it's normally up around the $500 Aus mark.
It comes with everything you see, including graphics, seat cover, handguards (same brand as stock), except the original white sideplates.
Dealers had a few in stock as Yamaha were giving either a set of black or white plastics kits away with any new WR. Or you could opt not to get the kit and get $500 cash back on the price of the bike. So I'm told...

Another sweet looking white WR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does it have the bigger head light? I want one of thoes too!

Yes, it's the Australian ADR approved light. I used to prefer the non-approved one (in blue) as it just looked better IMO, but I'm warming to this one.
I did a ride late into the afternoon last week and found myself returning in really low light, and unlike the non-approved light, you can actually see where you're going with this one!

• sconeracing

Posted July 08, 2009 - 01:10 PM

1st of all I would like to thank everyone for there help, it was great. At the end I ended up painting the headlight and WOW it turned out awesome. Here is a pic and yes I know it's a 250 and I am on a 450, but thanks again for all the imput:ride: :worthy: :banana:

http://s977.photobuc...urrent=1234.jpg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.