WR400/426 - YZ400 silencer interchangability?

2 replies to this topic
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted June 09, 2009 - 07:01 AM

I have a buddy with a 99 YZ400 that is in need of a quiet(er) spark arrested silencer for his bike as the stock MX silencer is freeking loud and illegal in Michigans woods. He dont have the $ for a new silencer and even the PMB insert for his stock can is around $200 with the quiet insert. hell he dont even have $ for piston/rings and chain and sprockets that he desperately needs... :thumbsup:

But then I got to thinking will a WR400/426 stock silencer work on his bike? There has got to be a few of those big black ugly oil cans out there cheep as they were pretty horible stock. But with the insert PMB sells for the stock WR can for $40 its gotta work better. That has got to be a cheeper solution for him.

I know when the YZ/WR's 1st came out a lot of the parts were inerchangable. Would the WR silencer work on his bike?

Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaha racing 230

Posted June 09, 2009 - 10:49 AM

it will work but the mount at the mid pipe will need alittle mod to bolt up , why doesnt he moddify the stock yz endcap and reduce the diameter of the tip that will reduce the DBs tremendesly and wont cost much money

• SXP

Posted June 09, 2009 - 11:03 AM

it will work but the mount at the mid pipe will need alittle mod to bolt up , why doesnt he moddify the stock yz endcap and reduce the diameter of the tip that will reduce the DBs tremendesly and wont cost much money

No modifications are required. The OEM exhaust systems between the 98-02 400/426 YZs and WRs will freely interchage between bikes.

If you found you had to modify the mid-pipe bracket, then either the subframe was bent or the pipe was bent.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.