When is it too loud?

24 replies to this topic
  • William1

Posted June 17, 2009 - 11:50 AM

Any bike that you have to think for a second "Is that too loud", is. How many riders are really so very good, that their engines are so built up, that they have to have a loud pipe? Too many (99.99%) buy a pipe just to be loud/noticed/blingy. Here on TT, questions are posted all the time "Do I need to rejet with my 110Db super pie?" Often, I would like to say yes, go down three jet sizes" but sadly, it will not cause a melt down like it would on a 2S. Do these people really need the pipe" Answer honestly. My WR has a stock system, it seems pretty damn quiet to me. Bike is plenty fast enough. I could port, cams, big bore and get more power, if I really needed it. Then, when I am paid the big bucks to ride factory (yrah....) then a loud pipe might be OK, if the AMA allows it....

For my SM, I have two engines, one semi stock, the other worked. The semi stock engine, I run a stock exhaust. The fully worked engine, a Yosh Ti (stupid loud). The worked engine is only run in an appropriate environment.

• grayracer513

Posted June 17, 2009 - 12:55 PM

One day, the dynamic acoustic muffler technology developed at Buick will become a practical reality, and everyone will be happy except those who just like loud noises and being obnoxious.

Until then, someone needs to develop from existing technology an alternative to both the "glass-pack" we're currently using and the lame, band-aid fixes such as the '08-'09 YZF muffler.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted June 17, 2009 - 01:48 PM

One day, the dynamic acoustic muffler technology developed at Buick will become a practical reality, and everyone will be happy except those who just like loud noises and being obnoxious.

Until then, someone needs to develop from existing technology an alternative to both the "glass-pack" we're currently using and the lame, band-aid fixes such as the '08-'09 YZF muffler.

I 'hear' that! LOL, you'll be able to tweak a knob and your pit bike will sound like a AMA GN flat tracker! Your YZ, like a Honda Mini Trail.

• Jim813

Posted July 16, 2009 - 09:52 AM

anyone know how loud a stock 08 yz450f with stock exhaust is?

• Aka.Goose

Posted September 01, 2009 - 08:02 AM

Just an update...
I've been really happy with the FMF Q4ti and the ti Megabomb...
I was actually bummed at first because the WB pipe I had before definitely had more noticeable bottom end kick to it, but now I realize that wasn't a good thing for me, I think I was just spinning the tire too much...
My speed for take offs and coming out of turns has improved dramatically with this pipe even though it seems like I've lost a slight bit of low end snap...
The FMF seems to have really well rounded power throughout and a great midrange blast of power I'm not so sure I had before, but it's been so long since I had the stock pipe on it'd be too hard to compare...
But yeah, I'm happy to say that I have actually had a few compliments on the quietness of it...And yes the sound level is ridiculously lower than the WB AlumProII was, at any level of throttle...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.