When is it too loud?

24 replies to this topic
  • Aka.Goose

Posted June 09, 2009 - 06:27 AM

I just finished reading this months DirtRider...It's filled with nasty comments about guys with bikes that are too loud...
But when I'm at the tracks I really don't ever hear outrageously loud bikes...
Yeah, maybe some crazy loud chromed out quads in Glamis...
Or an old twostroke with no packing, or something...But the thumpers seem to be pretty tame sounding IMO...
So when is it too loud?
Should I feel guilty to go riding without the quiet core and spark arrestor in my WB pipe?

• 350warrior

Posted June 09, 2009 - 06:34 AM

I don't think YZ426Fs are loud unless you run no packing.

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2009 - 08:43 AM

I'd say anything like 103dB is definitely too loud. Even less than that, depending on the situation. If you ever heard a YZ250F with a White Bros. R4 on it, THAT is way too loud. There are a number of other specific examples, I'm sure.

One of the problems with thumpers is the ability of the sound they produce to carry across greater distances than pingers, which means that someone who isn't "that loud" at the track is still kind of annoying 2 miles away.

The other is context. It's one thing to cut hard laps at the track, and quite another to blast up and down the road right in front of camp, or the parking area at the ride spot. The same noise that bothers no one at the track is unacceptably loud while you're bench racing and eating lunch at your favorite riding spot.

• 350warrior

Posted June 09, 2009 - 01:19 PM

That is def. true, the 4 strokes can be heard from far away. We ride at our property in the mountains and you can hear my dad (FMF powercore, and my brothers thunder alley from a long distance away, and my stock muffler is way louder then my dads FMF powercore/with spark arrestor)

• KAS

Posted June 09, 2009 - 01:50 PM

"Loud" is really a subjective term.

Whats quiet to a motorcycle rider might be way too loud for anybody else.

With that said, what's my personal definition of "loud"?

The stock exhaust on any motocross 4-stroke (save for the '08+ YZ450's, they're just "ok"), and ALL aftermarket "full race" exhausts.

• 642MX

Posted June 09, 2009 - 06:26 PM

Should I feel guilty to go riding without the quiet core and spark arrestor in my WB pipe?

I wouldn't feel guilty.... I don't use anything to lower my dB's either. All these "quiet pipes" are a joke anyways.

• yathump

Posted June 10, 2009 - 02:34 AM

I wouldn't feel guilty.... I don't use anything to lower my dB's either. All these "quiet pipes" are a joke anyways.

They're really a joke when you show up at a trailhead or track and notice that they're closed because some a-hole with money didn't like all the loud bikes, there is no reason for a loud bike if we want to continue riding, the less attention we draw to ourselves/trails/tracks the less battles we'll have to fight

• 642MX

Posted June 10, 2009 - 04:42 AM

They're really a joke when you show up at a trailhead or track and notice that they're closed because some a-hole with money didn't like all the loud bikes, there is no reason for a loud bike if we want to continue riding, the less attention we draw to ourselves/trails/tracks the less battles we'll have to fight

Maybe I should explain.... The quiet pipes (Q2 for example), are very quiet at idle and they will pass any sound test.... but the sound tests are a joke, who rides their bikes at 3,000 rpm? Rev up a 250F with a Q2 and it sounds like everything else on the track (my wife had one, I know). Same thing with a dB Dawg insert.... very quiet at idle (since it redirects the air-flow), but rev the bike up where it starts to pull good and the dB Dawg makes no difference. See my point?.... If your worried about sound, sell your 4 stroke and get a smoker....

• yathump

Posted June 10, 2009 - 07:20 AM

Maybe I should explain.... The quiet pipes (Q2 for example), are very quiet at idle and they will pass any sound test.... but the sound tests are a joke, who rides their bikes at 3,000 rpm? Rev up a 250F with a Q2 and it sounds like everything else on the track (my wife had one, I know). Same thing with a dB Dawg insert.... very quiet at idle (since it redirects the air-flow), but rev the bike up where it starts to pull good and the dB Dawg makes no difference. See my point?.... If your worried about sound, sell your 4 stroke and get a smoker....

Now this makes more sense, the quiet pipes are a joke statement leaves the door wide open for many thoughts. I've been behind bikes with a quiet exhaust and without and can notice a difference but thats just me

I don't have a 4 stroke anymore been back on a smoker for a while now

• DGXR

Posted June 10, 2009 - 07:28 AM

If you fail the sound test at the OHV parks, your bike is too loud. I have a bike that is nice and quiet up to about 1/2 throttle but very loud at WOT. The sound test is done at static RPMs (no load) so this bike passes easily at 93dB. Plus, like grayracer said, being "loud" is largely a matter of courtesy and common sense -- I don't blast this loud bike through campgrounds or staging areas. Leave the aggressive or show-boaty riding to the trails.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Aka.Goose

Posted June 10, 2009 - 08:52 AM

Most of the people involved in the sport show respect at the right time...As do I...That's a completely separate issue...
What I'm talking about, is does an otherwise respectable rider get looked down on just because of his choice to have a great non-altered aftermarket pipe and not muffle it with a quiet core insert???
Sure, I would have bought the FMF megabomb, but I got the Alum ProII for less than half price...I wasn't going to pass that up for a couple less decibles...

• sconeracing

Posted June 10, 2009 - 11:31 AM

Ditto.
I agree, we are losing way to much land. I think there should be a 94db limit at all places(tracks and trails)

• Wiz636

Posted June 10, 2009 - 12:05 PM

Most of the people involved in the sport show respect at the right time...As do I...That's a completely separate issue...
What I'm talking about, is does an otherwise respectable rider get looked down on just because of his choice to have a great non-altered aftermarket pipe and not muffle it with a quiet core insert???
Sure, I would have bought the FMF megabomb, but I got the Alum ProII for less than half price...I wasn't going to pass that up for a couple less decibles...

I understand your position concerning $$ but yes, I don't think much of guys that show up to ride on public land with a loud bike. Throw a quiet insert in there...I do!

• bills442

Posted June 10, 2009 - 12:13 PM

Ditto.
I agree, we are losing way to much land. I think there should be a 94db limit at all places(tracks and trails)

I blame the manufacturers and aftermarket for too many years not being concerned about noise. People buy what's available, and what they see advertised in the mags, if there were no "loud" pipes available it might have helped , that along with the noise testing that actually had some teeth to it.

• Aka.Goose

Posted June 10, 2009 - 05:51 PM

Throw a quiet insert in there...I do!

I do use it when out on trails, but not at the track...But I think it's kind of useless, the sound change is so minimal...

• Aka.Goose

Posted June 13, 2009 - 07:31 PM

Alright...I just worked 60+ hours this week in order to get the FMF Q4ti with the ti Megabomb (luckily I get it at 25% off)...I'm not someone who likes to be noticed, so hopefully this will help me lurk in the shadows...
Plus I do feel as though I'm making a slight contribution to the overall issue...And I'm happy that I'll be able to use the radiator lowering kit now...

• yz_for_me

Posted June 16, 2009 - 08:51 AM

If we have any hope of keeping our riding areas open people have got to start using quiet pipes. The more invisible we can be the better. On the track I don't have a problem with the full race pipes. But on the trails, there's just no reason to have a loud system.

I went from a Thunder Alley to a WB E2 a couple years ago. I can't believe how much quieter the bike is, especially with the quiet core in. Even at high RPMs it's noticable quieter.

• 350warrior

Posted June 16, 2009 - 09:12 PM

I just picked up a WB R4, and its not too loud, a little louder then my brothers thunder alley. My dads FMF powercore isnt much quieter.

• grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2009 - 09:26 PM

R4's are louder than hell. You can't tell from on the bike. Have someone ride it by at full throttle up in the revs a ways, you'll see what I mean.

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 17, 2009 - 11:38 AM

I am very disappointed with the Q2.... I was running the stock WR exhaust with the GYTR enlarged end cap, blowing 96's at sound checks and winning races... A high speed endo ruined my sub frame, exhaust and collar bone:busted: I had the the Mega Bomb SS/SX header and first generation FMF Q on my last WR and was very happy with the balance of power while being quiet so I found what I thought was a smokin' deal on a Q2 and mated it with a SS SX Mega Bomb header (header is supposed to decrease noise output). The guy I bought the pipe from had one ride with it and he was like - "Dude, that pipe is way too quiet.... dude"

Anyway... yes, this thing will still probably pass a standardized test at 98db but when I crack the throttle this thing barks WAY too loud. My system was all spec'd for an 06' YZ450F. Anyone agree with me and 642 that the FMF Q2 is anything but quiet?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.