2007 YZ 450f 4th gear issues

4 replies to this topic
  • SB105

Posted June 08, 2009 - 08:26 PM

I got a problem with my 4th gear, my 4th gear just simply doesnt work, being in 4th is basicaly just like another neutral for me right now. I took the engine apart hoping to find an obvious problem but now that everything is apart im not sure what the problem is. It seemed like the outer circlip holding the 2nd pinion gear had snapped out of its groove because when i pulled the set of pinion gears out, the 2nd pinnion gear and circlip were apart from the rest. Can this be the cause of my problems?.....there is also some wear on one of the shifter forks and the 4 square blocks(i dont no what they're called) that lock the gears together between the 3rd and 4th pinion gear have some wear, the square edge is rounded off a bit....
anybody know what i need to do to fix this problem

http://www.ronniesma...2007&fveh=12915

• grayracer513

Posted June 08, 2009 - 09:20 PM

The clip could be why 4th doesn't work. That clip holds both 4th and 2nd from drifting away from the 3rd pinion, which locks to 4th to engage it. As for the rounded locking lugs, you'll need to replace the gears.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rufusz

Posted June 09, 2009 - 01:27 AM

Or if you don't want to spend or don't have anything to spend (like me :thumbsup: ), than you can grind those locking lugs with a dremel multitool (or similar) back to being "square", or better, (as I did with my 5th gear locking lugs), you can give them a slight negative angle. You have to make sure that all lugs engage at the same time, so you can't just grind one of them. Of course buying a new one is simpler, faster (but more expensive :lol: )
Good luck

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2009 - 05:40 AM

I don't advise refinishing the locking lugs by hand under any circumstance because there is no way to ensure that you grind them uniformly within the necessary tolerances. All 3 or 4 lugs must bear the drive load equally if the gear is to be as strong as intended. If one is just .003" larger than the rest, it will carry the load by itself, and may break off because of it.

Furthermore, in recutting the lugs, you may grind through the hard face into softer metal underneath, in which case the gears will wear rapidly afterward. For $50 apiece, I don't think it's worth it.

• RJacks

Posted June 09, 2009 - 02:05 PM

False neutral is usually caused by gears not holding, ie. the cogs are rounded or a shift fork is bent.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.