just got a 02 yz426f help please

10 replies to this topic
  • GeorgeJettson

Posted June 08, 2009 - 08:20 PM

Im new to TT looks like a great site, I picked up a 02 yz426 on sunday , the guy I got it from said he just had the valves adjusted he said the dealer told him they did not need to be replaced. he also had the carb rebuilt, he said. I rode the bike it was strong .the guy I got it from told me he left it stock ,I dont know much about older bikes but when I rode it I loved it. I have a new Honda 450.my boys out grew the 230 they ride . I got the 02 for the green sticker (california year round riding) when I got it home I took the seat off and the air filter was filthy but behind it was clean (thank God) .I figured that the oil must need to be changed too if he neglected the air filter , when I removed the oil filter it had steel shavings on it alot of shavings, I did not find any shavings in the oil when I drained it from the frame or the case,so I pulled both side covers and ran a magnet in every hole, it came out clean I put a new filter in put the oil in and rode it around the hood I got it in 4th and 5th gear both gears are solid . I went back laid it on its side and took out the oil filter it had no shavings in it not even one . sorry for the wordy post ,
I realy like this Bike it seems like it will be fun to ride, if any one has sugestions please let me know Im trying to avoid a costly problem

• RCJIM

Posted June 13, 2009 - 05:32 PM

dont worry, happens when you dont change the oil often since the engine and clutch oil are the same, i have had mine for a year know, rode it in many poker runs and in the desert 100 and ironman with no problems, have fun

• Aka.Goose

Posted June 13, 2009 - 07:13 PM

I didn't catch what you need help with?

• RCJIM

Posted June 14, 2009 - 04:29 AM

"when I removed the oil filter it had steel shavings on it alot of shavings"

• byggd

Posted June 14, 2009 - 04:37 AM

Wait. I thought the 02 YZ was a 4 speed and the WR got the 5 speed? :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2009 - 07:49 AM

The engine oil lubes a transmission, too. It isn't unusual to find steel in the oil filter.

• Aka.Goose

Posted June 14, 2009 - 10:03 AM

As long as now that you've changed it there isn't an excessive amount anymore, and everything is running fine, no worries...You said the air filter was filthy too right? It just probably hadn't been serviced in a long time...Don't stress on it...Just enjoy the hell out of it, give it some care, and deal with problems when they arrive...As it is now, sounds like it's fine...

• DeeCee

Posted June 14, 2009 - 06:32 PM

Most of the "shavings" you find in the oil filter are from the clutch. This is because the clutch obviously "wears" a little every time you use it, and more so if you use a lot of clutch slip. Just keep the oil changed regularly (say every 10 hrs or less if the bike is riden hard). If you fit a Scott stainless filter you can wash it out and re-use it. If you do the regular changes you will probably find the "shavings" caught in the filter will reduce over time as the cases get flushed out with the new oil.

• laserracer

Posted June 14, 2009 - 08:09 PM

Wait. I thought the 02 YZ was a 4 speed and the WR got the 5 speed? :thumbsup:

02 yz 426 is 5 speed..03 450 is 4 speed

• byggd

Posted June 15, 2009 - 03:54 AM

02 yz 426 is 5 speed..03 450 is 4 speed

Thanks for clearing that up! :thumbsup:

• RCJIM

Posted June 15, 2009 - 06:13 AM

wait hahaha i know the engine oil lubes the tranny i was repeating what the orginal question

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.