exhaust?

15 replies to this topic
  • Kawirider37

Posted June 08, 2009 - 08:07 PM

Are there any after-market exhaust options out there that retain the stock muffler length or close to it. I'm not a big fan of the longer exhaust cans. I had an FMF 4.1 that wasn't too bad, bud I'd like it to tuckunder the number plate as much as possible.

• Slinkyman16

Posted June 08, 2009 - 08:15 PM

u can go custom with a mrd exhaust.. dave can build it however u want for 400 bucks..

also i belive the dr.d dosnt stick out as far as the stock one but still might be to long for the look ur going for.

• schwint11

Posted June 08, 2009 - 08:29 PM

i would say mrd dave can make you a custom exhaust. look at hmf they might have some shorter exhausts

• Kawirider37

Posted June 08, 2009 - 09:50 PM

I forgot to mention, I have an 08 yz450f. I like the tucked look. YOSHIMURA makes a pipe for the 09 honda that tucks up nnicely under the number plate. I wish they would make one just like it for the yami

• KJ790

Posted June 09, 2009 - 03:18 AM

The factory 4.1 is one of the shortest that perform well. The FMF Ti-Powercore is about an inch shorter than the factory 4.1, but it doesn't perform anywhere near as well (though it is still better than the stock 08 silencer). I know that MRD can also make one that is pretty short.

• Slinkyman16

Posted June 09, 2009 - 01:54 PM

I forgot to mention, I have an 08 yz450f. I like the tucked look. YOSHIMURA makes a pipe for the 09 honda that tucks up nnicely under the number plate. I wish they would make one just like it for the yami

the reason for that is because of the way honda routed the exhaust...

• Wiz636

Posted June 09, 2009 - 03:22 PM

My Dr.D does not stick out much beyond the number plate.

• Kawirider37

Posted June 09, 2009 - 04:13 PM

The factory 4.1 is one of the shortest that perform well. The FMF Ti-Powercore is about an inch shorter than the factory 4.1, but it doesn't perform anywhere near as well (though it is still better than the stock 08 silencer). I know that MRD can also make one that is pretty short.

do you know this by personal experience? I called FMF and they said that the 4.1 is shorter. On the other hand he didn't really sound that knowledgable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slinkyman16

Posted June 09, 2009 - 04:50 PM

do you know this by personal experience? I called FMF and they said that the 4.1 is shorter. On the other hand he didn't really sound that knowledgable.

when it comes to fmf.. id take kj's word for it.. dude has tons of experiance with fmf and exhausts period..

either way.. if u want a short exhaust u just might have to go custom.

• KJ790

Posted June 09, 2009 - 06:24 PM

Yup, they are very close though. Where the can ends is about the same, but the Ti-powercore has a shorter end cap. The V1 factory 4.1 had a shorter end cap than the Ti-powercore, but the V2 factory 4.1 has a bulkier end cap that is about 1/2 inch longer. The difference is so small it is hard to tell when they are on the bike though.

Ti-powercore:

Posted Image

V1 Factory 4.1:

Posted Image

V2 Factory 4.1:

Posted Image

• KJ790

Posted June 09, 2009 - 06:37 PM

I just snapped a pic comparing the V1 and V2 factory 4.1 cans. The midpipes are identical. The V2 is a little longer overall. The Ti-powercore was about 1/4 inch shorter than the V1 factory 4.1, and maybe 3/4 inch shorter than the V2 factory 4.1, unless they have changed the Ti-powercore in the last year (which is possible).

Posted Image

• motomanmike26

Posted June 09, 2009 - 06:41 PM

Go with the MRD, or buy a 2 stroke if it concerns you that much.

Personally it doesn't bother me. I run FMF 4.1s on all of my bikes.

• Kawirider37

Posted June 09, 2009 - 06:52 PM

I won't ever buy a 2 smoker. Thankx for the input though.

Go with the MRD, or buy a 2 stroke if it concerns you that much.

Personally it doesn't bother me. I run FMF 4.1s on all of my bikes.

• Kawirider37

Posted June 09, 2009 - 06:56 PM

I just snapped a pic comparing the V1 and V2 factory 4.1 cans. The midpipes are identical. The V2 is a little longer overall. The Ti-powercore was about 1/4 inch shorter than the V1 factory 4.1, and maybe 3/4 inch shorter than the V2 factory 4.1, unless they have changed the Ti-powercore in the last year (which is possible).

Posted Image

Thanks for the help, that was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to snap the pics too.

• Ray450

Posted July 02, 2009 - 09:38 PM

Wish I had seen this thread before. I'm waiting on the FMF TI powercore to be delivered, and will just run the stock header for now. I just uncrated the bike today, and am still setting her up to break her in. You say the 4.1 performs better. What are your impressions of the FMF mufflers and headers? I also notice in picture 3, the header is much longer, but it looks like a powerbomb.

• KJ790

Posted July 03, 2009 - 03:44 AM

Wish I had seen this thread before. I'm waiting on the FMF TI powercore to be delivered, and will just run the stock header for now. I just uncrated the bike today, and am still setting her up to break her in. You say the 4.1 performs better. What are your impressions of the FMF mufflers and headers? I also notice in picture 3, the header is much longer, but it looks like a powerbomb.

I've had good experiences with FMF pipes. They seem to be well built, and perform well. The factory 4.1 does perform better than the Ti-powercore, the Ti-powercore pretty much felt the same as the stock 06 silencer, maybe with a little more in the middle, but that was it. As for the headers, the one that looks longer in the third picture is the factory forward powerbomb, it performs the same as the SX powerbomb, but it lowers the center of gravity. The MX powerbomb adds more on top than the SX powerbomb, but you don't get as much lowend gain from it. I don't think FMF offers all three different powerbombs anymore though.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.