Mounting Handguards on 7/8 Pro Tapers

3 replies to this topic
  • cdntanker

Posted June 08, 2009 - 08:01 PM

Did a search on this subject, lots of warnings/info on special mounting kits required for Pro Taper bars, but none are really clear on if the special kit is required for the PT 7/8 bar or just the 1/1/8 oversize bar

I've got a set of Acerbis guards leftover from my DRZ400. I'd like to slap them onto my 2004 WR450F, but before I carve up a perfectly good set of grips, I want to be sure that they will indeed mount up.

I have all the mounting hardware with them that came of a set of 7/8 Answer Alumilite bars. Can I mount the same hardware directly onto my 7/8 Pro Tapers on my WR, or is there some kind of "taper" at the end that will prevent them from mounting up?

Any advice/experience would be appreciated before I start hacking away on the grips and throttle tube. Thanks!:thumbsup:

• WR_Dave

Posted June 09, 2009 - 06:18 AM

If everything is 7/8" as far as your existing kit and the bars on your bike you should have no trouble ( except for maybe having to creatively tweak the bar guards slightly) mounting them up. If you have 1 1/8 bars you will need different mounts for the inboard end of the bar guards. WR Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cdntanker

Posted June 09, 2009 - 03:36 PM

Thanks Dave.

I'm certain the handguard hardware is all 7/8. The bars are Protaper SE (Seven Eighths) as well, not the fatbar variant (those are on my son's bike, he gets all the good stuff and I get the leftovers!).

I'm certain the collars will fit on down by the triple tree, however I was just concerned because when I did a search on the subject, there was a couple of mentions that the Pro Taper bars "tapered" at the ends (hence the name I suppose) and I was concerned that the 7/8th bars tapered as well which would prevent me sliding in the tube ends from the handguards.

Guess I'll just start chopping and see where I end up!

Thanks for the response Dave, much appreciated.

• anathema

Posted June 09, 2009 - 04:15 PM

That's why it is best to get triple clamp mounts. Works on everything with some fightin :thumbsup:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.