How Much Of A Problem?

6 replies to this topic
  • Jock Bradley

Posted June 08, 2009 - 06:41 PM

I have a small hairline crack on the outside of my WR426's crankcase. It's just behind the rear brake pedal and is 1 3/8" long. There is minimal oil leakage. Wondering if a little bit of JB Weld will suffice or do I need to replace the crankcase cover?
Many thanks.

• ep87

Posted June 08, 2009 - 06:51 PM

Jb weld works great, try the new fast drying type if you need a quick fix.
But if it was me I'd remove the cover, clean it up real well, apply the jb weld, let it cure sand it smooth give it coat of paint. If you take your time and do a good job no one will ever know.

Or keep your eye's open on ebay, you might find a good deal on a used one.:thumbsup:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 08, 2009 - 08:42 PM

What is the cause of the crack? Impact, or too much kick starting?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jock Bradley

Posted June 09, 2009 - 06:23 AM

What is the cause of the crack? Impact, or too much kick starting?

I bought the bike used last week. It had a dent in the case where the crack is now. I'm not sure if the crack was there when I bought it as I could have easily overlooked it. I had a learning curve starting the bike...

Could this have created the crack? If it did, are there other issues that may have developed?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 09, 2009 - 06:41 AM

I bought the bike used last week. It had a dent in the case where the crack is now. I'm not sure if the crack was there when I bought it as I could have easily overlooked it. I had a learning curve starting the bike...

Could this have created the crack? If it did, are there other issues that may have developed?

If there is a dent, then impact is surely most likely the cause.

I would NOT worry about internal damage: just patch it with JB weld as described, or remove it and have it welded . Should be just fine.

• kawasakimx8

Posted June 09, 2009 - 06:49 AM

JB WELD, use the original kind that u have to mix, dont use the stuff that is like a putty, its not as good. i used jb weld on my cracked case and it held up till i sold and i replaced the case. i could have keep it on longer, but i just bought a new case.

• Jock Bradley

Posted June 09, 2009 - 07:01 AM

Thanks guys.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.