Bridgestone M404 Chipping???

14 replies to this topic
  • i_wheelie_longer

Posted June 08, 2009 - 05:45 PM

So I finally made the switch from a 250f to a 450 and i love it, but the knobbies on my Bridgestone M404 rear tire are chipping like crazy. I'm used to riding 250f's and I never had this problem. Do most 450s chip the knobbies off tires, or do the Bridgestone M404s just suck? They get awesome traction they just arent holding up very well. Anyone else have the same experience?

• cheeseclip

Posted June 08, 2009 - 05:55 PM

just does that cos it has a lot more power. my 450 does the same thing on certain tyres

• shuehauls

Posted June 08, 2009 - 06:05 PM

My 404s chunk knobs after alot of wear,They don't when they are fresh
I ride on mostly hardpack

• nickeenoo

Posted June 08, 2009 - 06:34 PM

What tire pressure are you running? A friend and I spoke to the Bridgestone rep last year in Vegas at the super cross final and he said the tires will chunk if the pressure is too high. He recommended no higher than 13 psi (we were running them a little higher to avoid pinch flats offroad). If the pressure is too high, the carcass doesn't flex enough and the knobs tear.

I haven't had a problem with my 404's chunking after I lowered the pressure unless I get into the gnarly rocks and then it doesn't matter what tire I run, they all chunk.

• cheeseclip

Posted June 08, 2009 - 06:48 PM

yea pressures probably also have a lot to do with it also. i run 12psi front and rear as a general rule of thumb. if im out riding and it starts to get wet i just let a lil squirt out, if its really hard 12 seems about right for me anyway

• kain522

Posted June 09, 2009 - 10:03 AM

Ditto on the 12 psi. It seems to give the best all around grip for me. I think chunking the tires is just the nature of the beast for a 450. I'm running a Dunlop 756 that doesn't look that bad, until you notice entire knobs are missing! I'm still deciding what tires to try next.

• clutchless

Posted June 09, 2009 - 11:36 AM

i heard a rumor that Bridgestone is pulling out of moto tires.

i use the 404 in the rear, i get chips when i ride hardpack but it's not a hardpack tire. works great in sand and loamy tracks.

are you ripping knobs off the side or the center? be stoked if you are taking them off the side, means you are cranking some turns.

center means you are turning slow and dumping the throttle out of turns and spinning the wheel a ton in the flats. come out of the turn with more speed so you have less wheel spin.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rjcook450

Posted June 09, 2009 - 12:37 PM

iam running the 756 and my side knobs are cracking at base and starting to come off, going to switch to geomax when current tire gives out.

• cheeseclip

Posted June 09, 2009 - 12:59 PM

im running a cheapo shinko holeshot on the rear. its designed for mud/sand supposedly but it hasnt really even rounded off yet after 4 rides which have had a bit of gravel included. for $100 nz they seem not too bad, just really hard to put on lol

• i_wheelie_longer

Posted June 09, 2009 - 03:26 PM

I am running between 10.5 and 12 psi front and rear and they chip out of the side of the tire, but maybe thats because they are kind of old. i am also considering switching to the geomax

• TimberMountainRider

Posted June 09, 2009 - 03:27 PM

Get a set of D952's

• buzzgrizz

Posted June 09, 2009 - 03:39 PM

We have had the same problem with several models of Bridgestone tires. We run Maxxis on the rear now and have had no problems with them.

• Slinkyman16

Posted June 09, 2009 - 04:53 PM

[quote name='CLUTCHLESS']i heard a rumor that Bridgestone is pulling out of moto tires.
QUOTE]

no just suppliying them for free to race teams.

i love the 404.. i switched from 756rrs and im digging the life and grip i get out of the 403/404 combo.. ive ran this setup for the last year.. and havnt had a set chunk yet..

how old is the tire?

• MuDPoUNdeR

Posted June 09, 2009 - 05:36 PM

^+1 to that.

I used to use the Dunlop 756 for everything because I loved the grip but it wore out in just 2-3 races. I now have the 403/404 and love the combo! Hooks almost nearly as good but last wayyyy longer! I just got some knobby chunks taken out of it recently riding through rock, so serves me right haha.

• twenty34

Posted June 09, 2009 - 05:41 PM

[quote name='Slinkyman16'][quote name='CLUTCHLESS']i heard a rumor that Bridgestone is pulling out of moto tires.
QUOTE]

i love the 404.. i switched from 756rrs and im digging the life and grip i get out of the 403/404 combo.. ive ran this setup for the last year.. and havnt had a set chunk yet..

[/QUOTE]

X2. Never had a problem and feel they work and wear great.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.